Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pouch/purse in a well
I saw a program just last Sunday that said originally pink was for boys and blue for girls.The reverse being a fairly modern(100 or so years)convention.Wish I could remember exactly when and why the switch.
Must've bumped my head when I fell down that .....never mind.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
If the picture is the type of painting I think it is, there are a couple of reasons why some parts of the fresco have faded to pink:

1) The painting is likely to have been done onto wet plaster. As the plaster dries, the uptake of the paint is more difficult. So perhaps the pink items were added later than the more vivid reds. I worked on painted plaster from a Roman villa once, and saw a lot of variance in the red there.

2) OR: the colour mixes for the paints were done differently in batches, and it's only a mistake they haven't dried to the same shade. It may be they ran out of enough of the red pigment (which can be done several ways, including comparatively expensive cinnabar, if memory serves).

Either way with the idea, I guess the pink bits were done at a different time.
Quote:If the picture is the type of painting I think it is, there are a couple of reasons why some parts of the fresco have faded to pink:

1) The painting is likely to have been done onto wet plaster. As the plaster dries, the uptake of the paint is more difficult. So perhaps the pink items were added later than the more vivid reds. I worked on painted plaster from a Roman villa once, and saw a lot of variance in the red there.

2) OR: the colour mixes for the paints were done differently in batches, and it's only a mistake they haven't dried to the same shade. It may be they ran out of enough of the red pigment (which can be done several ways, including comparatively expensive cinnabar, if memory serves).

Either way with the idea, I guess the pink bits were done at a different time.

Thanks for that Sandra, but I don't see any reason why the clothing detail would be done at a later date than other detail like faces, hair, etc. Why would the belt not be painted at the same time, which is a vivid red, especially when it is on one of the same figures sporting pink detail?

However, I do feel there is an aversion to the idea that Roman soldiers wore pink, simply because of modern conceptions. It's that simple, I'm afraid.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I don't care if Romans wore pink :lol:

Quote:Why would the belt not be painted at the same time, which is a vivid red, especially when it is on one of the same figures sporting pink detail?

When I work on stuff sometimes it doesn't always get done in a methodical manner, so a scenario where something got missed out and they had to go back later when the plaster was dryer or the paint is a different batch is a possiblity - it's called human error.

Anyhow, I'm not saying mine is the definitive answer.

Hey, it could be ritual :wink:
Quote:I don't care if Romans wore pink :lol:

Quote:Why would the belt not be painted at the same time, which is a vivid red, especially when it is on one of the same figures sporting pink detail?

When I work on stuff sometimes it doesn't always get done in a methodical manner, so a scenario where something got missed out and they had to go back later when the plaster was dryer or the paint is a different batch is a possiblity - it's called human error.

Anyhow, I'm not saying mine is the definitive answer.

Hey, it could be ritual :wink:

Fair enough :wink: But every time someone comes up with a reference to pink clothing among the military there's always a reason; it's a faded fresco, or the dye must have faded with the washing (which I think is the most probable). But it still doesn't get around the fact that soldiers had pink on their clothing, for whatever reason Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pouch from Israel Martin Moser 45 9,319 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  The Pouch version pivus 23 4,679 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Wrist purse on Ebay Tarbicus 9 2,300 07-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Martin Moser