Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrist purse on Ebay
Looks quite good, and we know the Romans had them, although I thought they were worn on the arm. This one's leather.

Leather wrist purse

[Image: 19_1.JPG]

Any thoughts?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Intresting, looks quite nicely made, do we know what the Romans kept in them? Money would be the obvious one, but I wonder if there could have been anything more obscure.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Money I believe was found in one!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I've seen a brass/ bronze reconstruction like this www.larp.com/legioxx/armprs2.jpg from Leg XX
and an armpurse was found from Birdoswald containing 28 silver denarii.

[Image: COINS.JPG]

I've never seen any representations on how/ where they were worn though...

Cheers

Caballo[/img]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Brian offered to make me one! :roll: That would be the one he was talking about, Caballo!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The only wrist/arm purses I know about were made of bronze. Never heard anything about something like that in leather, from written or other sources and as long as that doesn't change I'll abstain from making/wearing one, even though the idea itself may be sound enough.
One the one shown above, I'd say that the leather is way too thick in most places, considering the material used for (original) drawstring bags and such.
Done some digging around the dusty recesses of my bookshelves :oops: and found this.

From Vindolanda research reports Vol III- preliminary report on leather by Carol Van Driel Murray " From the pre 1973 excavations comes a leather version of the more familiar bronze armlet purse. It appears to be a tube of leather knotted at one side and expanded at the other".

And Byron, how much was Brian asking? Send me a pm?

Cheers

Caballo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Hi Caballo,

Quote:From Vindolanda research reports Vol III- preliminary report on leather by Carol Van Driel Murray " From the pre 1973 excavations comes a leather version of the more familiar bronze armlet purse. It appears to be a tube of leather knotted at one side and expanded at the other".

Interesting, what page is that? Any pics or drawings? Don't remember seeing anything like that when I last browsed through that book ...
Martin,

I haven't got the book to hand (at work) but IIRC its on page 45. A small (not very useful) picture as well. Apparently, it wasn't well conserved- techniques have improved a lot since then!

Cheers

Caballo

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Quote:I haven't got the book to hand (at work) but IIRC its on page 45. A small (not very useful) picture as well. Apparently, it wasn't well conserved- techniques have improved a lot since then!

Thanks! I'll check it out ASAP

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pouch/purse in a well Anonymous 34 7,171 02-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus