Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pouch from Israel
No. 1 of the three pouches found in the Cave of letters in the 1960s by Y. Yadin. Interstingly it does not have any means of closing it fast, nor any kind of handle or carrying strap. Coloring (except for the sewing thread of which there is no mentioning in the text) follows the original find, i.e. red drop-shaped application on front and red sidewalls with brown body. Reference for this is Yadin, Yigael. The Finds from the Bar Kokhba Period in the Cave of Letters. Jerusalem, Israel Exploration Society, 1963.

[Image: YadinPurse_01.jpg]

[Image: YadinPurse_02.jpg]

[Image: YadinPurse_03.jpg]
Nice! Another time!

The red aplication will be for post there a seal box? There follows the tipical pattern of some of that boxes. So, the pouch could be a letter-container, and then it could be closed by a thread knotted, and the knott inside the seal box... :roll:
You're the bag-master! Any idea as to the dating?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Any idea as to the dating?

Ah, sorry forgot to mention that. First half of 2nd cent. AD. When found, it contained a bunch of legal documents from a Jewish woman called Babata, which were dated in the 120/30s AD. The last one is from Aug. 19, 132. The bag was deposited in the cave at the end of the 2nd Jewish revolt 132-135 AD.
Martin,Your skill at leatherworking is truly masterful.
Once again,beautiful work.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Nice!

Martin, I think you have more bags and purses than my wife! Big Grin
Closure? I'll bet the velcrus dots have fallen off the original. Just like a modern wallet, eh?

Very good stitching work, and a laudus for ya, Martin!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Martin once again you amaze me!

But I think this is really a matzah ball bag.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Looks great - laudes! Big Grin

Bag-man's return :wink:
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Seems like a rather useless design. No fastner, no handle. Nice reconstruction though Martin.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Seems like a rather useless design. No fastner, no handle. Nice reconstruction though Martin.

Could be handy to put in your fascia ventralis though... :?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Martin,

Laudes to you my mentor..you never fail to amaze me with your scholarship and craftsmanship.... Big Grin
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
wow nice,

hey paulus, doesnt your have have a purse like that? i think thats were she stores your nuts Wink

martin, once again you shine in the leather world my friend!
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:Seems like a rather useless design. No fastner, no handle.

Well, at least it's open at one end, so you can put something into it ;-) )

Actually I had the same thought as Jef about using it to carry something by sticking it into your sash or belt.
Quote:Seems like a rather useless design. No fastner, no handle. Nice reconstruction though Martin.

I've been using a pouch of this design for a while now, and it works pretty well. You could stick it through a sash, though it is rather lsrge for that. But if you tie a string around it, it works just fine. Obviously, it isn't a carrying bag (the En Gedi finds include a large drawstring pouch that answers that description much better). My guess is that it is more of a storage container for documents or other valuable items that can be kept and transported in it safely.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Pouch version pivus 23 4,658 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pouch/purse in a well Anonymous 34 7,164 02-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus