Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions of this lamellar cuirass, please!
Jyrki,
The so-called 'narrow lamellae' from Corbridge belong to the class of Roman locking-scale used all along Third century AD (for me it is interesting the Fourth century date of the Corbridge scales, perhaps I'll try to reconstruct a cuirass for me in a future :wink: ) They appear usually associated to embossed chest-plates, a useful feature to dress and undress a fairly rigid armour.
Call them lamellae (Well, after all they aren't sewn by rows to a fabric backing! :roll: )or scales, the point is that they weren't laced at all but joined using copper-alloy wire staples.

Jef,
The Dura 'lamellar armour' are a pair of non-matching rawhide scale cuisses. They can be called lamellae because they are only laced and not sewn by rows to a fabric backing. Notwithstanding, the tips of the scales/lamellae aren't connected to the following row, like it happens on true lamellar armour (and on locking scale armour but here is no lacing) and, therefore, they resemble more scales than lamellae :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Messages In This Thread
Re: Opinions of this lamellar cuirass, please! - by aitor iriarte - 01-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lamellar cuirass & belt... Virilis 19 4,950 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Need a lamellar cuirass! Virilis 13 3,550 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible