Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Brandon I agree it is simply a lovely blade but unfortunately I am not the maker nor the owner so cannot upload it to you.

Thanks much for your comments.

Cheers!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Titvs you have been busy Big Grin , while ive been in the wilds of Scotland.Great idea look forward to the postings,Ill put a photo of my Sword of Tiberivs on when I get it out if you want .Look forward to this one.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:And so what's wrong with this sword???

The blade looks fine proportionally- save for the fantasy wreath and Greek text, but I know that's just owner preference :wink:

The point of us mentioning that a gladius-making tutorial should start with being sure the shape one has chosen is correct has to do with the large number of commercial and other blades that are claimed to be gladii but that aren't really very or any good. No one was commenting on your particular choice or knowledge Rick Big Grin But anyone even new-ish to the subject could get it all wrong if he/she hasn't done enough or the proper research.

The number one thing I've learned is not to follow others' reproduction designs blindly- some are good, some aren't- so it's always, ALWAYS best to go back to primary sources: actual artifacts. Really stating this was all that was necessary- we didn't expect your thread to go so far off course :lol: Just to say don't automatically trust reproductions because they can be only 'good enough' for some, which doesn't make them authentic by any means...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Matt thanks for that. I think there was a major misunderstanding from the get go with this thread. I barely got the intro out and it was already assumed that I had not done any research. In other words I never got the chance to get there yet in my presentation here.

I have a dinosaur PC that is so chocka with saved research files it drags like a one legged hamster towing a locomotive with no trucks.
The main source I was going to suggest here, guideline wise,was working with actual specs and pics from the genuine items as per online and other museum and private collection resources. Along with that I would find it very difficult to have full respect and appreciation for such a thing if I didn't have some kind of handle on it's origin and historical connections

The reason I asked what was wrong with these swords was in that lots of people buy them. Even those of great knowledge on the subject. Some have claimed they were excellent and others say a few faux pas here or there. I think much of it is very nice craftsmanship and they look like mainz's to me!

Putting it all in a nutshell I have done my own research long before I even considered making a gladius blade or much more than that, considered doing a tutorial on the subject. I have already indicated that somewhere in this thread when I said " research HAS been done already" However that I cannot do for anyone else they MUST take upon their own initiative and do it themselves and readers will certainly be apprised of that. If they haven't the slightest desire to do that then perhaps they may wish to buy a LOR repro online somewhere that should make them happy as Larry.

Because the opening part of this thread seems to have already invited a bit of harsh criticism please allow me to say that the very first project here was NOT going to involve steel at all. I was going to recommend making a rudius first which would basically give the new bee something like an economical start time wise and resource wise. Because timber is also much easier to handle and more responsive to the tools involved until they get the hang. Everyone who starts something new (especially learning such a skill) is going to make some kind of boo boo that is a part of the learning precess. To make mistakes due to lack of correct information on the item itself is an absolute waste of everything. That is why I said much frustration and disappointment would be the result of that back up in my intro. I hope you know where I am coming from.

I personally would have a major endorphin dump if I spent a month and beaucoupe $$ on setting in a shape, on tough auto spring steel, only to learn it's totally bogus. Aside from proper and thorough historical research SAFETY comes first as well which was going to get at least equal billing.

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts Matt

Best Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
I went back to read that first post. I guess what confused me was that you mentioned using bar stock and stock reduction, which in my area of the world refers to metal. Sorry for the lamguage misunderstanding.

Also when I am starting a tutorial, (as a military instructor and high school teacher) I always want to plan the lesson as if no one knows what I am talking about, starting at the lowest common task, in this case, finding a proper pattern, or wood that would have been used by the Romans, or whatever, rather than assuming that everyone has my research and everyone already knows what I intend, if I forget to mention it in the course introduction.

I do understand old computers, I am forced to work and write at 4000 baud, (4K) with a keybord that has some broken keys, it always makes my posts a bit more 'interesting'.

best of luck

Quote:Salve all!

I have been wondering how many members of this forum would be interested in having a pictorial sword making tutorial available to those who would like to give it a go. It would of course be sequential and begin with the theoretical topics such as design principals, shape, patterns etc. In other words being presented in a logical/thorough manner so as to assure anyone with basic skills a successful creation.

What has really personally kept me from entering the reenacting arena is the sheer cost of the gear involved. When the day is done we have a major investment outlay and not all of us can afford such wonders any time soon.

This would be based on the assumption that one has no tools/materials at all and a list of absolute essentials will be given and the end costs which would be well under the cost of a single middle range or even lower range sword.

Learning to make your own gear is not only challenging it is extremely satisfying. The process here would focus on the use of easily found bar stock and use of the stock reduction method. ....
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Sir Charles,
Thanks for your post and also for your much valued time and consideration. To further clarify there will be both timber and steel subjects involved but believe starting out with a timber sword would aid in learning basic skills first on a more expendable material as well as better prepare them for the bar stock. Hope that made sense.

I had also sent you a PM earlier and wondered if you have received it.
I also heartily invite you and all to make any comments during the course of the presentation.

Thanks for all Charles

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
That is cool, because I have often contemplated making or buying a rudis!
The idea of making one appeals to my shrewder side :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah Yeah Byron so when r you gunna send me some a that coleus soup you make??
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
:?: :?: :?: Well I wouldn't want to share that with anyone, would be painfull, to say the least! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What wood would you suggest, something that will take a bit of punishment.... oak Confusedhock:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron they are NOT hard to make at all do you have a power drill or one you can borrow? In this project it is used as a wood lathe assuming most people won't have one?

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Yeah haveone. just a hand held one... I was thinking more on the line of hand carving it?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron just any decent hardwood but white oak or red would be fine. It is what some boken and waster practice weapons are made of.

I use Jarrah which is not only rock hard it is easy to work and has a deep beautiful reddish hue and lovely grain. You can get good scrap bits from discarded furniture as well.

cheers!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
As soon as this facockta camera charges up I'll post a pic of a rudius I am working on
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
will try the local diy shops today.....still trying to get some sheet metal in smaller quantities than one meter by two Confusedhock: :? feel like I'm being sent on a wild goose chase. Just bought some needle files and a couple of other things yesterday, slowly building up a useful toolkit.....

cheers
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,531 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,717 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,387 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer