Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
Intro to come
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
I personally would love to see such a tutorial. I do a lot of metal work and would love to make my own sword. My dream sword is a home made mainz. Smile
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.
Well, I am trying to start down that road.....first to get the pins done on my pilum..... then a set of greaves.....a sword oneday! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Juan and Byron,
Sweet as mates that's all the shove I need am getting started on it tomorrow night I need to go out and buy about 200 kilos of the strongest espresso first! Confusedhock:

It's like anything else at first you doubt your abilites simply because it's something new. Then after what ever amount of screw ups it all kicks in. good job anyway as it's all scrap metal. Smile

THANK you both for your response very much appreciated!

BE WELL!

PAX ET BONUM!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
I'm interested! I think though that it should deal more exclusively with the Nut & Bolts -- Hands On stuff. An ancient smith didn't need to know things we now know about metallurgy and neither do I ( even though I do :roll: ).
Angus Finnigan
EDIT:

I misread this thread, and thought it was about someone LOOKING for a tutuorial. HAH...Smile

Poof! You're A Swordsmith
Brandon Shifflet
I think it's a great idea Rick, even those of us who have made a sword or two can benifit. I for one am always looking for new/better ways to do things Big Grin .
Dave Akers.
That's a great idea Big Grin
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Hey Brandon, that is a great link! What I have wanted for a while. Confirms most of my beliefs about the task too :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve Guys!

Say Dave long time no type how's it goin mate?? Quote agent Smith" WWWWEEELLLLLll Mr. Anderson! Weeev'e missed you"! 8)

First off ladies n germs I don't believe it is essential to include an opening filibuster about carbon atoms, the mean density of this or that so no sub course on metalurgy. I know as much about that as I do Egyptian deep sea diving anyway.We are looking for a sword here and that is all it's about.

Just tryin to share a little first hand dope and hopefully somebody out there won't have to drop 1000 sestartius, or what have you, for their fancy pointy thing so yes it would be presented in a let's just do it manner.There is already quite a lot on heating/tempering/annealing out there anyway. This is about stock reduction, transfering geometrical lines and shapes and a certain know how to the to the hands and being happy with what you see in the end. I would like to focus on the mainz pattern and if one can do that successfully they can make the other styles. It's all about actually handling the steel.

Dave if you would like to get in on this at any point it would be an honor. Understood though if not.

I thank you all for your much valued input

Always,

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Quote:Salve Guys!

Say Dave long time no type how's it goin mate??

I would like to focus on the mainz pattern and if one can do that successfully they can make the other styles.

Dave if you would like to get in on this at any point it would be an honor.

Rick

Been a busy week mate, stitches sting when they come out :evil: .

I second that, if you can make a Mainz style other types should be no problem.

I'll be happy to contibute though, it will mostly be along the lines of, "that's how I do it and, I never thought of that Big Grin ."

Cheers, Dave.
Dave Akers.
Guys, you can also check out swordforum.com

There is a pile of information there in older and newer threads, as well as a lot of people who are amateurs and novices like us who have made their own blades using the stock-removal method (if you're forge-less this is your best option).

Legion: TBD
Rick, will we be making scabbards as part of the tutorial?

Agreed that the Sword Forum is a good place for info. I think what Rick has in mind is more of a make this sword step by step.
Dave Akers.
SALVE!! Sir Matt and Sir Dave!

Matt thanks heaps yes sir have been aware of that site for a long time just bloody good info from those who really know and yes at present I am forge free which isn't a nice thing really but we just make it work somehow. Thanks much for that!

Dave much gramercy and thanks. I cannot convey to you how releived I am to hear that the severed digit is on the mend. Just the fact that no serious sub infection has yet occured is very good news. Sounds like you have some very competant Drs on your side. I have great faith that it will kick in soon back to it's original full function state. Have they organized some form of therapy?

About scabbards, fittings etc ohh absoluetely yes. Not at least taking some kind of stab (pun unintended) at that topic would make this a half baked project so to speak. There are all sorts of issues here with selection of good vs ok materials and so on and so forth. What tools are really needed and how to get the job done in something like a timely fashion.

Also working with bone. Here in NZ the Maori people are master carvers and can turn a piece of discarded beef bone into a museum piece. Preparation of bone before use wil be covered etc but NOT allot of clap trap superfluity I think it should be a straight away Thing.

Matt again thank you for your advice and Dave thanks for just being there.

Be Well mates and you have the finest of days.

Cheers!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Ave Rick,

Good Doctors yes and, my wife has kept an eagle eye on me to make sure I follow doctors orders Big Grin .

Not to put the cart before the horse but, I do have a scabbard question.
I've been gathering my info and, materials for my Krefeld spatha and, learned the scabbard was oak. Don't know if I need to put anything between the oak and blade to prevent the wood from affecting the blade?

Any bone carving tips from such a long tradition of working with it will be most welcome. I've got a couple of things I'm going to try and, will be able to use some tips.

Take care, Dave.
Dave Akers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,529 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,712 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,385 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer