Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about embossing a Scutum (shield) & boss (hand
Quote:but surely the only way to depict scuta emblems on carvings is by raising them or recessing them (assuming that the sculpture was not painted of course).
I agree completely

Quote:This is why I would not be quick to claim that raised relief on parts of sculpture or carved bas relief is evidence of the same on the actual item represented.
I agree here also however; having raised relief in sculpture, seemingly at least, leans more toward raised and embossed on the actual items. Obviously it doesn't mean the originals weren't raised and embossed.

This brings me to my other point … or moreover my other question… should Roman Republican shields be plain and painted with only one sold color?

I am most defiantly of the opinion that it would be beyond un-Roman like to carry a plain mono-colored shield. At the very least I believe the Republican Roman shields should have painted lightening bolts, wings, and/or other adornments such as wreaths or crescents. Everything I’ve read concerning Roman armor is peppered with the words “shinny, polished, decorated, color, color, and color.â€
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Quote:The only issue I have with the idea that such decoration was widespread, other than the rarity of artifacts, is that the whole job of a shield is to absorb blows from rather nasty weapons- I can't see sheet copper alloy elements surviving well. Paint one can touch up or re-do fairly easily, but metal pieces could easily end up looking, well, like those in the photo after just a single engagement. Of course the same argument could be used against the binding, but that seems to have been not uncommon, so maybe damage wasn't such a serious issue afterall...

Matt,

I think the question here is how often was a soldier in combat? If they are like their modern counterparts not very often. So a flashy shield could easily be justifyed if its not going to be subjected to battle on a regular basis.

The idea that shields were repaired is a bit hard for me to believe since after a winning battle I am sure most were beyond repair anyway. How about the bosses found with split pin rivets? This leads me to believe they were made that way to be easily removed, and installed on another shield.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka docorative shield boss imGladii 12 2,449 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Leather Hand Guard/Glove to carry Scutum Antoninus05 17 4,415 05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  shield boss question Cephas23 3 1,456 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Cephas23