Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scythian-Greek scale armour
Quote:Most colonies had unwilling citizens and hired mainland Greeks to fight.
So the fashions would be basically Greek.
But as I posted before-if it comes from a Skythian grave, it was owned by a Skythian. If not it could be owned by anyone and hoplites with "foreign" items would be an odity even in the colonial military formation.

Kind regards

At least by the third century BC, the Bosporan citizens were serving in the military, and iconographic sources show a definite mixture of Greek arms and armour with Scythian style costume.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o118/...s_2_AC.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o118 ... 6thBCE.jpg

The first link shows a Skythian with scale armour(in the middle)that looks like a combination of greek and skythian armour.The other is skythian leather scale armour.Sorry,sourse unknown.

Here are the sources:

Eurasian 6th century BC
Leather
L 27.75 inches

Published in Notable Acquisitions 1991-2002
Stuart W. Pyhrr, David J. La Rocca, and Morihiro Ogawa
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Description (abridged):
Sleeveless, 56 rows of hard scales secured by rawhide laces to a soft leather lining. Laces for closure at side of chest and at small of back. Garment extended from shoulders to upper thigh. Not seen in photo is a subsidiary scaled skirt that is sewn to the leather lining at the bottom of the cuirass. This skirt would have spanned down to the knee. Presumed Scythian.

----

The second is:

Comb with Battle Scene
Scythian/Greek Style 430-390 BC
Ukraine, Solokha Kurgan

The State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg

----

Cheers,
Tim
MeinPanzer, I've sent you a personal message. Steve, I haven't yet recieved yours.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Sent second P.M.
Steve
Quote:MeinPanzer, I've sent you a personal message. Steve, I haven't yet recieved yours.

I sent you an E-Mail but found it sitting in my outbox, when I tried to send it to you, I got this message

This user does not wish to receive e-mail. Try sending them a private message
Steve
So if the first photo of bronze scales is 30 x 47cm total does that make the individual scales something like 33mm tall x 12mm wide? Zowie...I hadn't realized that these were so small! Any idea how thick the scales are?

Thanks again for posting that example!

Tim
Quote:So if the first photo of bronze scales is 30 x 47cm total does that make the individual scales something like 33mm tall x 12mm wide? Zowie...I hadn't realized that these were so small! Any idea how thick the scales are?

Thanks again for posting that example!

Tim

That's all the info I can find. Here's some more scales.
Steve
That's actually not all that small for scales. IIRC some large segments of iron scales from Persepolis were 15 by 10 mm or so. I pity the poor workers who had to punch and stitch them, though!

Does anyone know what the oblong scales with many holes are for?
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Oh I know there are examples of teeny tiny scales. It boggles the mind! It just that when I saw that photo, in my mind I saw the scales as much larger, imagining that whole piece comprised the majority of the front of a corselet. Hehe...when looking at scales, one must have a sense of scale!

Cheers,
Tim
The Leather Scythian armour that has a picture link posted is described as 'scythian' and is held at the Met in New York. After correspondence with the cuirator and the head of the arms and armour section they are unsure of wether it was scythian or not as the armour has no provenance. I feel there is almost no chance that leather armour would survive in as good a condition as this peice for the 2500 years that it is surposed to be.
Quote:thank you for your inquiry, which has been forwarded to me in the Department of
Arms & Armor.

The Eurasian scale armor, which may or may not be Scythian, has been briefly
published twice by my colleague:

Donald LaRocca, in: 'Recent Acquisitions: A Selection 1999-2000', Metropolitan
Museum of Art Bulletin, Vol. 58, no. 2, Fall 2000, pp. 14-15 (ill.)

Donald LaRocca, 'Scale Armor' in: Arms and Armor - Notable Acquisitions
1991-2002 (Exhibition Catalogue: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York,
2002), New York 2002, cat.no. 38, pp. 42-43 (ill.)

The provenance of this piece is not recorded, and our research so far has
unfortunately been unable to yield any further information.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Thanks for the info, Jason.
Yes, thanks, Jason! I had seen it at the Met site before but lost track of it.
Nullis in verba

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet/ armour database Paullus Scipio 161 141,253 12-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Adventurous Artisan
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,922 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,707 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale