Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting belt buckle
A friend of mine needs help. Neither he nor I have seen something similar Smile . Buckle comes from grave (Viminacium). It is large 14.4x10.2 cm, made of bronze-in documentation says with large percent of lead. So if anyone has some ideas about analogies please post. Thanks.
On the photo You can see buckle above and some belt parts found in Viminacium. Pic is from Pozarevac Museum.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Wow, thanks for posting that. Never seen it before.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Some facts are strange about this object. I am very suspicious about interpreting it as part of regular belt. As far as I know about this grave there were no parts that were or could be in connection to this object. You can see on the ends that there are some clasps ( I admit that I dont now usual technical terminology in english Sad D ). So let us put our brains in use. Salve. If I come up to some idea I'll post. RIght now I have problems with castrum towers and walls.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
It's very wide for a belt. What do you think about that piece be from a horse's harness? The saddle's one?
Is 10 cm wide for a late belt though?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, Cesar I was thinking about horse harness also, but which part? Maybe Mr Bishop has seen something like this when he worked on horse equipment?
Stefan Pop-Lazic
Quote:Never seen it before.

Dito Sad

Very interesting device!
Florian Himmler (not related!)
I have thinking in the buckle for close the strap that secures the saddle over the belly of the horse. Probably in connection with another device for adjust the lenght of the leather...
I have found the term for that part of harness - girth. That part needs simple buckle - connection. Viminacium buckle ends have rotation on axis as far as I can see from the drawing - 360 degrees. They are movable. Maybe girth needs something like that?
Stefan Pop-Lazic
would be a dodgy method of securing a saddle in my mind, but what do I know! Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Looks elven.

Legion: TBD
I would bet for equine equipment, anyway. Maybe a clasp was useful for closing the chest strap in the middle... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tekije Belt Buckle Help Doc 17 3,096 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Rado
  Belt Buckle and plates Tim Mathews 7 4,075 07-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Tim Mathews
  Intercisa style helmet on belt buckle 400 AD Natuspardo 5 1,770 01-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat