RomanArmyTalk
Interesting belt buckle - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Interesting belt buckle (/showthread.php?tid=8821)

Interesting belt buckle - Arahne - 03-24-2007

A friend of mine needs help. Neither he nor I have seen something similar Smile . Buckle comes from grave (Viminacium). It is large 14.4x10.2 cm, made of bronze-in documentation says with large percent of lead. So if anyone has some ideas about analogies please post. Thanks.
On the photo You can see buckle above and some belt parts found in Viminacium. Pic is from Pozarevac Museum.

Re: Interesting belt buckle - Robert Vermaat - 03-24-2007

Wow, thanks for posting that. Never seen it before.

Re: Interesting belt buckle - Arahne - 03-24-2007

Some facts are strange about this object. I am very suspicious about interpreting it as part of regular belt. As far as I know about this grave there were no parts that were or could be in connection to this object. You can see on the ends that there are some clasps ( I admit that I dont now usual technical terminology in english Sad D ). So let us put our brains in use. Salve. If I come up to some idea I'll post. RIght now I have problems with castrum towers and walls.

Re: Interesting belt buckle - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 03-24-2007

It's very wide for a belt. What do you think about that piece be from a horse's harness? The saddle's one?

Re: Interesting belt buckle - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-24-2007

Is 10 cm wide for a late belt though?

Yes, Cesar I was thinking about horse harness also, but which part? Maybe Mr Bishop has seen something like this when he worked on horse equipment?

Re: Interesting belt buckle - Flavius Promotus - 03-24-2007

Quote:Never seen it before.

Dito Sad

Very interesting device!

Re: Interesting belt buckle - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 03-24-2007

I have thinking in the buckle for close the strap that secures the saddle over the belly of the horse. Probably in connection with another device for adjust the lenght of the leather...

I have found the term for that part of harness - girth. That part needs simple buckle - connection. Viminacium buckle ends have rotation on axis as far as I can see from the drawing - 360 degrees. They are movable. Maybe girth needs something like that?

Re: Interesting belt buckle - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-24-2007

would be a dodgy method of securing a saddle in my mind, but what do I know! Confusedhock:

Re: Interesting belt buckle - Magnus - 03-24-2007

Looks elven.

Re: Interesting belt buckle - aitor iriarte - 03-25-2007

I would bet for equine equipment, anyway. Maybe a clasp was useful for closing the chest strap in the middle... :?

Aitor