Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 Spartan from F. Miller Comics Props replika Sword/Shield
But they were GREEKS, so the swords weren't gladii, but xiphoi and they were SUPPOSED to be worn on the left.
Quote:But they were GREEKS, so the swords weren't gladii, but xiphoi and they were SUPPOSED to be worn on the left.

Really? Learn something new every day. Smile

Thanks!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
there was a reason why they wore the sword on the left side and espesially why the baldric was so short. In the pressure of othismos while people are stuck in the mess (imaging a moshing in metal concert) the left held the shield and the sword being relatively small for phalanx use (not the spartan one i mean the regular length which is still short compared to a broad sword) didnt had enough weight to be drawn without taking the scabard with it. So while pressing the opponent with the shield and keeping it locked, the bent all the way down the sword with the right hand till they trap the butt of the scabard in the armpit. Then they pressured along with the arm to stabilize it while the drew downwards the sword with the right.

About Frank Miller. I got the comic since 98 and i loved it. That time there was not the hollywood revive of sword and sandal gengre, no other serious editions in comics with ancient greek subject apart the Odyssey by Navarro (brilliant inks btw) and sporadic editions that never became popular enough. Frank Miller didnt aimed for history lessons, he took the basic essence of the story, ''valour'' and saw it through the prism of comics. Good comics means exaggeration. Characters are huge, movements are huge, plot is huge. If you read the ''Making comics the Marvel way'' by Buscema and Thomas you will understand the logic.

The movie follows the comic not history. They use solely Millers stylistic view. You think wouldnt be cheaper to get some low-middle quality corinthian helms instead of modelling some the way Miller ''saw'' them?

Im very sensitive with movies that present themselves as ''story of x figure'' especially when my heritage is involved. I was raged with Troy, first time i wanted to leave the theatre, i didnt even went to see in cinema Alexander cause if i liked to pay to be raged ithat would mean i have strange vices :lol: . I saw it in dvd a day i had nothing better to do. Good costumes pityfull film. 300 doesnt bother me cause those guys dont try to play history professors or support agendas, groups of people that propably affiliate with them or ''educate'' the masses. They made a cool fun comic to life film. And did it well imo.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Well, from the other point of view.....'300' is about the Spartans who gave their life at Thermopylae and as such should be viewed as a tribute to the 'finest soldiers the world has ever known', regardless of inauthenticity and 'comicbook' characters...a lot of people are seeing this film in that light, myself included.
Anyway...shouldn't those replica helms be limited to 300...not 2000 :? lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
To me 300 is a comic style movie which has as theme ''valour'' and that is well presented from the trailers i saw. People shouldnt see this film as a documentary of some sort. Im going to enjoy it in the same way i would enjoy a Conan the barbarian movie nothing more nothing less.

If somebody wants to make an actual historic movie then i will be the last man to complain Big Grin D
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Hehehe...

INDEED, my good friend Yannis! Indeed...

My guess... we'll NEVER gonna see an accurate movie (FROM... HOLLYWOOD!) about ancient Hellas (Sparta or other).
Unless... that movie will be an EUROPEAN production!

(BTW... is it the "Rome" TV serial, an American production? It seams to me quite accurate, but I guess the fellows here that creating ROMAN replicas, they know better...)
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
While agree that the film is based on Frank Miller's comic not on real history, unfortunately most of the general public does not know this. Unless there is a disclamer to the effect of "the costumes in this film are based on Frank Miller's vision not historical Greek arms and armour" the poor old general public is going to walk away from this film believing that's how the Ancient Persians and Spartans really looked. The director could have mixed in some concessions to historical accuracy in with the rest of the stuff.

Otherwise, as a fantasy film, it looks great. Smile
Regards,

Hisham
I'm downloading "The Making Of 300" at Youtube, so you can watch & Enjoy...Its over 30 minutes behind the scenes footage...it has like 11 parts wich I will divide them like in 3 or 6 clips.

I shall post part one of my clips, wich contain two parts for now.
Content:
Quote:A sneak peak at 300:
1-First look
2-Production Design
3-Training
4-Wardrobe
5-Stunt work
6-Creatures
7-Adapting 300
8-Spartan culture
9-Interview with the cast
10-300: March to glory
11-300 Mobile & Game trailer

As you all know is based in F. Miller's book.
They stated: its sort of the operatic treatment of the battle of Thermopylae, in that sense,they arent realy married to Historical Truth, to realistic filmaking conventions... they took lots of liberties, but theatricly, dramaticly,style-(stylisticly).

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dory + spartan short sword Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,425 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Spartan Shield Recommendation (For Tattoo) Lycurgus_Andreia 1 3,544 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  spartan sword? kilroyturner 21 5,254 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr