Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Event (LRE III), August, 2008
Mmmm, such envy Big Grin ...I want, but to that day I´ll probably spent all my money in my Erasmus Scholarship...with luck in Center/East Europe...
I must go to Archeon when I can... Seems so incredible in the photos...Is it?
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:I must go to Archeon when I can... Seems so incredible in the photos...Is it?

It's nice. :wink:

But when we are there, IT's GREAT! Big Grin

[Image: 2006archeon_Igermanica35.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Count on us!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Count on us!
I know I can Ivan, and I appreciate it hugely!! Thanks!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
It does look nice, for sure....whats the weather like then?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:It does look nice, for sure....whats the weather like then?
In 2005 it was overcast with rain at night and on the sunday.
In 2006 it was a heatwave.
This year it was cloudy and around 20 degrees C.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I hope Letavia will be able to come this year Wink
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
I hope so too. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Andreas, we gotta fix the marching songs remember?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Andreas, we gotta fix the marching songs remember?

Absolutely! Big Grin
Andreas Baede
I just received the final confirmation - the event will take place. More information follows later.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thats really good news!!! Big Grin D D
Patrick Stritter
Publius Militiares sine Cognomen
Legio Comitatenses Minervii

I\'\'ve seen things you people wouldn\'\'t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Roy Batty
Quote:Thats really good news!!! Big Grin D D

I've sent you an email Patrick with some questions. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Dear friends,

First of all, very best wishes for 2008 from all of us at Fectio!

On behalf of the Fectio Foundation we would like to formally invite you to our third Late Roman Event, August 1, 2, and 3, 2008. This event will be held at Archeon, The Netherlands. Although our budget is not large and most of you will have to come from far away, we promise you to make this an event you will not want to miss, and will not easy forget!

While this event will be advertised and open to the public, our primary goal is to provide a unique experience to our participants. Even though the weather conspired against us, we all had a great time and we hope that this year will be even better!

Okay, now that you all have been invited, two more things:

As some of you already know, the budget for this year is not as large as during the first two events. Our aim is to cover as much of the cost of coming to the Archeon as possible, but we have to be careful with every eurocent we spend. Nobody, we fear, will be able to buy a helmet from Cacaius, let alone Erik Lechl from money earned with this event. It is a pity, but that is the way it is. But we fully intend that this, the greatest gathering of late-roman re-enactors everywhere, will more than make up for it in atmosphere, camaraderie and mutual inspiration!

The limited budget also has another consequence. During the last event, some of us discussed the possibility of expanding on the “civilianâ€
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
[size=150:2hfj6i46]LRE III, 2007: August 1, 2, and 3
Archeon,
Archeolaan 1
2408 ZB Alphen a/d Rijn [/size]

Park Phone Number: 31 (0) 172447744
Park Fax Number: 31 (0) 172447700
Event forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fectiosforum/
Event Contact: Robert Vermaat
Fectio Foundation: Hoefbladhof 44, 3991 GH Houten, The Netherlands
Event Contact Phone: 31 (0) 306380306 or mobile 06 20578792
Email: [email protected]
On the web: www.fectio.org.uk/ and http://www.fectio.org.uk/groep/lateroman.htm

Dear friends,

As many of you will have heard, the next LRE is on! The budget has been accepted and confirmed, we’re on the calendar, so let the planning about details commence.

First of all, notifications from the organisation:

• Patrick (Publius) of the Minervii got married to his Carla last Saturday (Andreas and I went to the party) – congratulations!
• Our archer Helge (Richomeres) has informed us with deep regrets that he won’t be able to come, because he will be moving house around that time.
• Godfrey Knight of Legio II Augusta (present at LRE I) also had to cancel due to travel plans.
• The Teuxandrii will only visit us on the Sunday as civilians – their holiday plans unfortunately clashed with the event data.
• Repeated call: Please send me a complete list of all people who are attending the event, real name plus Roman name: [email protected].
• Some groups have sent us ideas about what they want to do at the event. Of those that do not, we are going to assume that you are going to be marching about and following orders!
• Suggestions are still welcome! For instance, the wooden wall around the park will probably be complete (just not a gate), maybe we can do a siege, climb ladders, followed by a sortie against the attackers?
• This year, we would like every attending re-enactor plus families to remain in period clothing for the entire day, and not change back to 21st c. clothing before Monday. We’ve already had some favourable reactions, but if you have ideas about this, please use the forum.

Attending groups and numbers

A list of attending groups:

The Batavi – (our old friends from Britannia - hopefully!) – I they make it, 8 soldiers, 5 civilians?
The Foederati (veterans of the past LRE’s) - possibly 5 soldiers and 4 civilians
The Minervii (our old friends from Germany) - probably 5 soldiers and some civilians..
The Letavi (a new group from Brittany) - probably 5 soldiers
The Septimani (heroes from Hispania) – with 7 soldiers and a civilian
The Ulfinger (new guys, Alamanni from Germany with a horse) - 4 soldiers, 4 civilians
Fectio, of course, with people from Corbvlo and several others - if all the Dutch and Jyrki from Finland will operate under the banner (draco, hopefully) of Fectio, we might have 7 soldiers too, plus one cavalry!

In total, we now expect a maximum of between 63 and 71 people (41 soldiers, two cavalry). Of course, that may change the closer we get to the event.

Drill commands and such

I’ve been updating the drill commands found in the Strategikon and developed for this event. Two documents have been placed on the forum website.

I would like to ask your attention about appointing a tribunus (regimental commander) who oversees the whole formation, and one primicerius or two who command the column or a half-column.

Any volunteers?

We also need to appoint file leaders, who lead 3 men and initiate every command that will follow. The reason for this is that we put many groups together who probably are only used to each other and also use different commands then other groups are used to.
With file leaders, only one or two soldiers (plus the commanders of course) need to know these orders (although it is best to learn them all!!!!). This way, we can form better formations than by mixing all the soldiers together in every day a different place. If a files has only 3 men, that’s no problem.

Ideally, each group forms one or two files or 4 men each, and the spares and individuals are dispersed over incomplete files. The first man always wears the best armour, including the standard bearer.
We also need an overall commander and commanders of both half file formations.
Number the men before you march (Unus, Duo, Tres, Quattor), so they remember their place in the file.

If possible, the standard bearers accompany each commander, draco in front and vexilla with the half files. This is not 100% Strategikon, but an adaptation necessary for our limited number of men.
An ideal file is: (1) file leader (best armour), (2) miles, (3) miles/vexillarius, (4) miles.
Or: (1) standard bearer, (2) miles, (3)miles/vexillarius, (4)miles.

The light troops and federates are gathered from all the groups and march either at the front and the back, or on the flanks. When in formation, they form a fifth rank.

Please tell we what you think – too complicated? Contrary to your own drill? Let me know! :wink:

That’s it for now, I hope to hear from you soon, or else until the next newsletter.

Valete,

Robert and Andreas
FECTIO
[email protected]
+31 30 6380306
http://www.fectio.org.uk/
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Binchester 25th August Bank Holiday Event brennivs - tony drake 2 1,437 08-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Marle 20-9 2009 Late roman event. (France) Bran ap Maclou 25 7,702 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS
  Late Roman Event Sledmere House, East Yorkshire John Conyard 2 1,337 05-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Last Post: John Conyard