Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed Centurion Pteryges
I've started making my detachable pteryges by layering a linen large sheet of fabric, folding it in a concertina style on top of itself for the inner pteryges, then doing the same with the same sheet for the outer layer of pteryges, folding it over so that a chord can keep it all in place, threaded through tabs on the subarmalis.

I just had an idea though. If I leave a gap in the top of the pteryges between the layers, not sewn up, I could insert strips of rawhide, sandwiched inside each pteryge in a kind of pocket. No glue just stitching involved.

Each pteryge is six layers of not fine, but certainly not heavy linen plus a strip of rawhide. If I don't like it I only have to pull out the rawhide strips. If the rawhide pieces go a bit yuckie I just pull them out and replace them with new strips.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think I may try Tarbicus' detachable pteruges strip. I have a linen subarmalis, and I have a stock of nice thick leather to use as pteruges. I'm not sure if both materials were used together (I guess no-one is) but it will be a fast and effective way of creating pteruges.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only Tarbicus 45 8,360 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Marcus Julius