Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complete sword ban proposed in UK - UK residents only
Instead of trying to figure out exactly how much swords are used in violent crime, our government in the UK is proposing a TOTAL ban on them, no matter what.

Kiss re-enactment and traditional and cultural practices goodbye if it involves a sword.

If you're a UK resident only, please check it out and consider signing the petition here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/swords/

The deadline is May 17th for the petition to be signed.

Quote:The proposed ban on the import, sale and manufacture of swords will have an adverse effect on legitimate practitioners, collectors and manufacturers. Actual sword related crime is very rare and does not warrant a ban that affects the cultural activities of thousands of legitimate martial artists, collectors and smiths. Current legislation is quite adequate to deal with violent crime connected with bladed weapons. New legislation is merely for show. Enforcing such a ban will also affect cultural events such as Scottish Sword Dancing and many Sikh festivals. We urge the PM to reconsider this knee jerk reaction to media influenced scaremongering.

I wouldn't mind, but I keep all of my BLUNT weapons in a strong box.

It'll be axes next (which are used more in crime than swords probably).[/b]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I've signed.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Ave Jim,

that's why politicians never will be banned. You can't find a single one of them with a sharp thought today...
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Banning gun ownership certainly kept them out of crime didn't it :?

What are they like :evil:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:I've signed.
And thanks for pointing it out in the first place.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
If anyone's a member of swordforum, it would be interesting to see what they have to say there?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Before everyone gets TOO up in arms so to speak, you might want to read this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 788881.stm

It would seem there are exceptions to the ban including swords used for highland dancing, martial arts, museum displays, fencing, and yes HISTORICAL RE-ENACTING!

Therefore, it would not be the END of the world for reenactors!

EDIT: This is an old news post, but I looked around a bit more and newer articles, and they all seem to mention exceptions for legitimate use of some kind. I find it odd that all the unbiased articles I can find on the topic are rather old-- still, I'd really like to see a even-handed account of the purposed ban, or the actual wording of the legislation.
-Christy Beall
Actually, it's not as clear cut as it sounds. The Bill hasn't been finalised and there are MP's trying to extend the ban to pretty much all swords. As it stands, £30K samurai historical swords will be banned, including ones being sold by Christies, etc, which many view (including professors of history) as works of art and a cultural heritage. It's a kneejerk measure, and there is absolutely no statistical evidence, only an occasional article in the press (anecdotal).

If the law is not clear on the exemptions for legitimate use, then it will be at the discretion of normal police officers.

As I said, mine are always under lock and key, which I view as a reasonable necessity. But the way legislation, and changes to it, can work in the UK there is every chance that it will end up as a blanket ban for the purpose of good press and political expediency.

addendum: Just to also explain that although the legislation is primarily focused on Scotland, the fact is that Scotland is often treated as a testbed for legislation to "see how it goes" first before being introduced into the rest of the UK. The gun ban has had no effect on gun crime, but only stopped our Olympic shooting teams from practicing. :roll:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote:The proposed ban on the import, sale and manufacture of swords will have an adverse effect on legitimate practitioners, collectors and manufacturers. Actual sword related crime is very rare and does not warrant a ban that affects the cultural activities of thousands of legitimate martial artists, collectors and smiths. Current legislation is quite adequate to deal with violent crime connected with bladed weapons. New legislation is merely for show. Enforcing such a ban will also affect cultural events such as Scottish Sword Dancing and many Sikh festivals. We urge the PM to reconsider this knee jerk reaction to media influenced scaremongering.

I wouldn't mind, but I keep all of my BLUNT weapons in a strong box.

It'll be axes next (which are used more in crime than swords probably).[/b]

No, it will be free thought next.

Have I missed a spate of drive-by sword slayings or something? It's not only bonkers but (delicious irony) racist! They'll just have to stick all sword-wielding re-enactors in prison... oh, hang on, that won't work, they're full and 'not fit for porpoises' (at least, I think that's what they said...).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I have been searching all over, and STILL cannot find the actual wording of the proposed bill. All I could find which was recent and ongoing was a bill banning the possession of japanese swords for those without proper credentials. I still cannot find any sort of public information outlining the exact conditions of this purposed general ban on all types of swords. I even checked all over the British parliment website! Anyone have an idea of where it can be found?
-Christy Beall
Quote:I have been searching all over, and STILL cannot find the actual wording of the proposed bill. All I could find which was recent and ongoing was a bill banning the possession of japanese swords for those without proper credentials. I still cannot find any sort of public information outlining the exact conditions of this purposed general ban on all types of swords. I even checked all over the British parliment website! Anyone have an idea of where it can be found?
Here's a quote from Scottish Justice Minister Cathy Jamieson:

"We will make it illegal for anyone in Scotland to sell a sword, subject to a limited number of exceptions, and require any business selling non-domestic knives and swords to abide by strict licence conditions."

The fact is that there is already legislation in place to lock up anyone who carries a weapon in a public place, to threaten or attack someone, etc. It will do nothing to stop the crimes, only the weapon of choice would change (which hasn't happened with guns anyway).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Presumably those who currently own a sword or swords will not be covered by the proposed bill? In which case is it not a total waste of time? It will not acheive a reduction in the massive occurences of death by sword in the UK which have now become so prevalent as can be seen by reference to .....erm.....?

I should like to propose (or is that porpoise?) a bill banning politicians and MPs - they are dangerous and expensive.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Yes, here we go again! Scotland the guinea pig!
Some young chap had his sword/knife collection stolen late last year, and within a week, some numpty was arrested for attacking someone with one of the samurai swords in the same area.... sounds too conveniently co-incidental to me! I wonder who hired him?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Presumably those who currently own a sword or swords will not be covered by the proposed bill? In which case is it not a total waste of time?
IIRC, the total gun ban meant everyone had to hand in their guns under an amnesty, regardless.

Except the criminals of course.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The constantly have an amnesty to coerce the few remaining people into handing over their collections, but the crims will never do that! Or they will just go buy an Uzi!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposed Centurion Pteryges Magnus 61 10,061 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Mithras