Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
copper-alloy Type \'A\' sheath
Crispvs,

Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate the construction overview and certainly admit that this sheath is probably not constructed in some odd manner. But it just seems that there is something off in this sheath. If you look at the second picture (the one of the back) in the original page, it appears that you can see gaps between the two plates you mentioned. Again I am no expert, but would not the "expansion" rust fill these gaps, especially since there are large blooms of rust near the gaps? Additionally, if the other oxide is caused by the blade and sheath, why does the blade, which is evident at the throat of the sheath, not cause similar wrap around rust at this obvious opening.

Again I doubt that it is some sort of "odd duck" construction, but there just seems to be something off here and I do not know the arena well enough to know what it is that I do not know.

Does this make sense?

Cordially, and appreciative of any assistance,

Michael Broyles
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
And it could not happen that the case of pugio, she was in touch with a sheet of iron and on having decomposed on her, there was staying the oxide that appears?
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
Hola Gabriel,

It seems reasonable that a seperate piece of iron could account for some of the rust, but would that account for the rust going all the way around the sheath at the "terminal" end?

Cordially,

MJB
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
What about a thin sheet of tin? would that rust like this? Perhaps a thin sheet of tin was wrapped around the copper alloy core.

The rust at the midway point could also possibly be from the remains of a this layer of tin sheet.

Look at the rear of the sheath in this post.. It looks as if there is a wrapped-around edge..
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 435#116435
Hello,

I have found one intersting article about a necropoli with a lot of copper alloy pugio sheaths identical to one of the posted in this topic:

http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.p ... load/24/25 [/code

There are dated at II century bC, and are iberian. There have the iron guttering and over the brass sheath.

Of course, there are very usable for a II-I century roman impression, with a captured iberian item.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Undecorated Type B sheath LVCIVS VVLPES 15 3,532 12-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  ANALYSIS OF LATE ROMAN-BYZANTINE COPPER ALLOY IN JORDAN TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 3 1,538 03-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Possible Evidence of Rolling of Sheet Copper Alloy? Matt Lukes 6 2,018 02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes