Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Corinthian Helm as a phallic symbol?
Why the need for a ridge that wraps around to the back of the head though? That's just more work and you only need armour in your behind area if you're running away...lol.

If it was for defence i can see the front and partial sides, but the back is just excess work to me.

It's a phallus damnit! :lol:

Legion: TBD
The older corinthians were more rounded. this style comes in much later, and seems to be the peak of the style. Perhaps it's dissappearence coincides with prudish Romans taking control of Greece? :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The older corinthians were more rounded. this style comes in much later, and seems to be the peak of the style. Perhaps it's dissappearence coincides with prudish Romans taking control of Greece? :wink:

The Corinthian is already largely out of use by the late 5th century (I think), so I don't think so.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Was it? Where is this stated? I recall that most equipment was handed down! Including Corinthians! :wink:
And at Marathon? Thermopolae? Much art includes corinthians! Also the later types!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If you think the Corinthian appears phallic, you may as well say that the human face does as well.

Mere coincidence, I think.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Quote:If you think the Corinthian appears phallic, you may as well say that the human face does as well.

Speak for yourself. Mine doesn't.

:wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
:o

I mean that, well the 'phallic' part of the Corinthian is based on the eyes and nose, which can appear quite... naughty if you caricature someone enough. Wink
Quote:And at Marathon? Thermopolae? Much art includes corinthians! Also the later types!
Both Marathon and Thermopylae fall in the early 5th century BC. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Corinthian was mostly obselete by the Peloponessian Wars, after that only hand-me-downs were worn (as mentioned)... the Greeks oliterated the Corinthian from their armies by themselves, whereas the Romans of that time were probably still wearing them.
Quote:First...I am being completely serious here. The corinthian styles of helmets to me have a striking resemblance to the tip of the male genitals. Did the greeks do this on purpose, as a symbol of manhood/fertility, or is this just something I've thought about too much?

But if you look at the helmet regardless of the angle, the dome shape on the top and immediately under that, it really resembles a phallic shape.

Anyone read anything to this effect?

I have noticed this myself, some models are especially phallic looking....but was too embarrased to bring the subject up.... :oops: :wink:
I just glanced at Johnny's latest beautiful Spartan painting....hmmmh :oops: (he is now my 'desktop')
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a Corinthian Helm? SapereAude 83 21,588 12-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  Corinthian helm with ears? Tarbicus 11 2,977 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr