Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grip material
Quote:So, while it can't be ruled out, it looks like we don't have/know about any actual proof of leather being used for sword handles, right?

What about ring pommel swords?

[Image: Invictus_hilt_small1.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:
Martin Moser:3lktlq0d Wrote:So, while it can't be ruled out, it looks like we don't have/know about any actual proof of leather being used for sword handles, right?

What about ring pommel swords?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking ;-) )
To be frank, the pic you show is no proof of it, as it's obviously not an archaeological find. Is there an actual find with such a hilt preserved?
All the ringpommels i know, and many spathae, both roman and germanic, have'nt the grip preserved. So, there could have been made in leather, but why not in wood or another organic material. The same problem is with another swords like gladius hispaniensis.
some of the K-bars have now moved to cheapy plastic grip, and some of the blades arent so great anymore, when used to open can and boxes they bend and points snap, but in the old days with the pre 1980s knives they are leather wrapped, i dont have one though, i use an M-6 bayonet (i like it, no frills)
aka., John Shook
So, I better change the grip. :?
Ivan Perelló
M3 Trench Knives first appeared in WW2

[Image: M3knife.jpg]
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Everything posted thus far about other weapons is fine, but am I mistaken or don't all of those have otherwise smooth grips? Roman swords had finger grooves specifically, I would think, to give the holder a far better hold. If you wrap anything around them you negate that by essentially filling in the finger grooves, so why would you do it? Why go to all the trouble of grooving the bone- and there 8 facets in each of the 4 grooves on an average grip, so that's a LOT of shaping- if you're just going to wrap it and cover them up? The leather cord, etc., used on other types of weapons is to give them the extra grip that the grooves on Roman sword grips have by design... yes?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I'm asking for Late Roman and Migration period swords specifically.
Ivan Perelló
Later grips definately became less contured like the earlier styles Matt.L

By the late 2nd Century and then into the Thrid Century, many of the examples in fact have a smooth grip, or spiral or with small continuous rings.

These numerous examples are clear from Mike Bishops new book, Roman Military equipment, page 155, & 157.

So there are quite a few grips that exist into the later 3rd Century. 4th Century I'm not sure.

It is quite concevable that leather could have enhanced the grip on these swords, and by further attaching it to the wrist made lots of sense as well. I'm not sure if anyone has ever taken any martial arts or played racket ball, used a baton for that matter!

Anything that you swing is much more secure if its attached to your wrist in the event that you loose your grip.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Like ski poles! :lol:

I have a Gordon Highlanders sword from about WW1 vintage which has a combo metal/braided wire grip! Not quite the same era, but shows that anything that works is used , eventually!
I saw a relief of a mainz gladius with the same spindly grip as my first albion, but perhaps they had a glove for tha sword hand? It is too thin for comfort barehanded!

:oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I saw a relief of a mainz gladius with the same spindly grip as my first albion

Have any pic of it?
Ivan Perelló
no, it will take some finding :? Just remember seeing it, so will need to dig it up! I do have a pic of my albion though!
i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315/RomanLegioX/Picture2005117.jpg

The lower one has a slim almost parallel grip, although the difference is not so obvious in the photo. The relief I saw had a couple of soldiers with a prisoner, and some weapons of the monument! will look for it!
Stil looking........ :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'll wait then... :wink:
Ivan Perelló

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  some good material for gladius grip munazio planco 17 3,380 04-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Last Post: munazio planco