RomanArmyTalk
Grip material - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Grip material (/showthread.php?tid=7684)

Pages: 1 2

Grip material - FAVENTIANVS - 12-07-2006

We all know that bone, wood and sometimes ivory were the materials used to make the spathae grips, but is it incorrect to have one wrapped with leather?

[Image: 2006archeon15.jpg]
[Image: 2006archeon20.jpg]
[Image: leather-grip.JPG]

Re: Grip material - Marcus Mummius - 12-07-2006

Salve Faventius,

Holger Ratsdorf once told me that most common soldiers would have had a spatha whose grip was wrapped in leather instead of one made out of bone or ivory. I do not know what his sources are but he was pretty sure about it...

Vale,
Jef

Re: Grip material - FAVENTIANVS - 12-07-2006

WOW! Enlightening comment! Thanks a lot Marcus Memmius!!

Re: Grip material - Magnus - 12-07-2006

Did he mean leather thong wrapped over the bone/wood grip though? I can't see leather directly over the metal tang of the sword...that would compromise the construction of the entire hand grip assembly I'd think.

I've heard of stories of different soldiers from different eras and cultures wrapping a type of cord around their sword grips to decrease the likely hood of their hands slipping off during a bloody battle.

Re: Grip material - Marcus Mummius - 12-07-2006

Indeed, leather only wouldn't make a good grip. The leather would be wrapped around a wooden grip.

Vale,

Re: Grip material - FAVENTIANVS - 12-08-2006

Quote:Did he mean leather thong wrapped over the bone/wood grip though? I can't see leather directly over the metal tang of the sword...that would compromise the construction of the entire hand grip assembly I'd think.

I've heard of stories of different soldiers from different eras and cultures wrapping a type of cord around their sword grips to decrease the likely hood of their hands slipping off during a bloody battle.

Look at this in detail...

[Image: 2006archeon20.jpg]

Re: Grip material - Magnus - 12-08-2006

Umm...ok...?

Re: Grip material - Robert - 12-08-2006

It IS possible to make a very good leather grip directly on the tang! The old US commando knife still uses this methode. Rings of thick leather are stacked upon one another, bonded (glue?) and fixed in place. Then the cylinder which has been formed is trimmed to size to shape the grip. This may also have been used on the Celtic La Tene swords, where the organic material was interspaced with iron or bronze plates.
I don't own such a knife, but I am sure the US militairy on RAT will oblige with a picture. It's a great design!

Re: Grip material - FAVENTIANVS - 12-09-2006

Quote:Umm...ok...?
There seems to be no extra grip, just a couple of metal bars.

Re: Grip material - Martin Moser - 12-09-2006

So, while it can't be ruled out, it looks like we don't have/know about any actual proof of leather being used for sword handles, right?

Re: Grip material - caiusbeerquitius - 12-09-2006

What´s the story behind the broken grip? Smile

Re: Grip material - Robert Vermaat - 12-09-2006

Quote:What´s the story behind the broken grip? Smile
http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/archeon2006_3.htm

Bottom of the page.

Re: Grip material - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 12-09-2006

I contribute that to BAD forging/smithing ! if it was forged at all.........

M.VIB.M.

PS:

[Image: 2006archeon17.jpg]

NOW I KNOW WHERE THE DELFT PORCELAIN/EARTHENWARE DESIGNERS GOT IT FROM!!!!!!!!

Re: Grip material - Robert - 12-09-2006

Poor Garrelt!! Cry Wonderfull turnout, though, liked the pics!

Re: Grip material - Robert Vermaat - 12-09-2006

Quote:I contribute that to BAD forging/smithing ! if it was forged at all....
Yes, it was a bad forging, I believe the smith accepted the blame and put things right for them.