Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurio helmet crests or crests in general
Quote:This piece of evidence might be seen as something of an oddity but there is in fact another. A stone sculpture clearly showing a Roman soldier in lorica segmentata with a corinthian helmet. Like lots of evidence, it has simply been lying around out there for years overlooked.

Interesting ! I'd like to see it.

Quote:It will be published very soon in 'Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier' by Raffaele D'Anmato and yours truly. Sadly no colour surviving in that case but it might indicate the Guards really did wear a mixture of gear.

So, the publication date has been set for April 2009 then ?
I'd like to pre-order a copy Smile

~Theo
Jaime
I think that Adrians reference to a yellow crest of a cavalryman in Arrians' "Ars Tactica" would not have been horse hair but Ostrich Feathers as used in the Hippica Gymnasia.
shown here in these links.

http://www.northumberland-computers.com ... elm021.jpg
http://www.northumberland-computers.com ... elm022.jpg
http://www.northumberland-computers.com ... elm023.jpg
Brian Stobbs
Is there any proof (archeological, or textual) for the use of such kind of feathers?
I think that the Roman historian Arrian gives us accounts of the Hippica Gymnasia where he refers to the cavalry riders charging around with their highly decorative equipment.
Infact very near to where I live I have examined the Tomb Stone of the Imagnifier Flavinus of the Ala Petriana, and here one would say that he may well have such feathers on his helmet.
Brian Stobbs
This was why when I created the Sports Helmet I have shown I decided to do just that.
Brian Stobbs
When I discussed crests or any decorative features in the past with Simkins or Peterson, they told me that possibly goose, ostrich, or similar feathers would be used.

I cannot say for certain that these would have been the only two used but they are VERY plausible. If you read Appicius, they ate ostrich so the feathers were available-no?

When we look at the Cancelleria Relief with the Praetorians, were they not using what appears to be ostrich feathers? They are certainly not goose or turkey.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:So, the publication date has been set for April 2009 then ?
I'd like to pre-order a copy Smile

~Theo

I've seen on some site on the internet that the book was moved to July 2009. Can't find the site again. Some places say April instead, like you say.

I have the book pre-ordered but I'd like to know what's up with the publication date. And having a preview of the table of contents would also be very appreciated :wink:

By the way, first post on these forums. Hello all.
Pedro Pereira
Quote: If you read Appicius, they ate ostrich so the feathers were available-no?

Appicius was a bon viveur, I don't think that the majority of people in the Empire especially common soldiery would have had access to ostrich for their lunches!

I'd stick with goose feathers. :wink:
Peroni,

The common soldier does not have to eat ostrich for lunch to have the feathers for a helmet. Furthermore, we are not discussing the common soldier. This thread is about an officer that although ran with the common soldier was not common himself. :wink:

If you want ostrich feathers for your helmet, I doubt you are going to hunt, clean, and eat the entire bird so that you can make a crest. This statement is true wether you are rich or common. If someone wants feathers they can be obtained without the bird. Confusedhock:
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crests made from Feathers only? AMELIANVS 23 4,947 04-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Show your Roman Crests and Crest Blocks Pointer 0 862 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladiators, Feather Crests scotti73 8 3,014 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Crispvs