Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you please ignore Iratus MAximus
Salve Omni

And especially young Woady!! - I have been watching your posts and indeed the replies of our fellow RAT members.

Firstly I feel it is important that you heed advice from the likes of Jenny and those similar. Although this is a forum for fellow enthusiasts to share knowledge and ask questions there is an onus of responsibilty on all of us to use our noddles first and plan our research. I think you will find if you do this then you will reap much more than you sew. I too was just like you Woady - too many questions and not enough time to ask them and as a result have made some bad choices with kit in the distant past but hey it's not life threatening. Take your time, don't get angry or disheartened, gather examples then ask for opinions and as I think seems to be the case people will give a little more. Don't forget we are not Roman Soldiers - we do our best to portray as accurately as possible the lives and equipment of these men who again don't forget lived some 2000 years ago. No one has all the answers. Not one person in this forum could tell you exactly what a Roman Legionary looked like - it is just not possible. But we can give you a pretty good idea.

The first thing I would do is locate your nearest group and join. Start off by getting the basics, Tunic, focale(scarf) and Caligae (military boots). The group will probably have spare kit which you can borrow and then you will begin to learn and see 1st hand what is accurate and what is not. Believe me this way is so much easier. Whilst involved in activities you will suprised what you learn and from my own experience this includes learning to make some items yourself. Very rewarding. I feel your enthusiasm will be better rewarded in this way. Also many groups attract discounts from suppliers making things cheaper for you. Listen and watch the older guys.

Finally a word to the wise. Come on chaps give the grunt a break??? We all started somewhere didn't we?? Ok so ol' Woady gets a bit repetitive. If it gets on your tripe that much don't reply.

This all brings to mind a very relevant post on RAT placed by Derek of the ESG I seem to remember. It discussed the age range of re enactors ie 30+ somethings to fifty somethings - Why no youngsters coming through the ranks? Look at your own groups and he was right. Negative attitudes to a little bit of immaturity won't help our cause. I have had some particularly unpleasant experiences with closed and aloof Roman re enactors (my pugio's bigger than yours!!!) and I know I am not alone. Re enactment is not a closed society for a bunch of stitch counting elitists. Everyone has to start somewhere. We should be encouraging more youngsters into our groups and helping them in their quests to learn as soon they will be filling our Caligae - lets face it in reality most of us would have been pensioned off in some God forsaken province or dead by now :lol:

I hope none of you take offence - there is no reason to - just remember none of us were born with the respective knowledge we have and have all made fools of ourselves somewhere...

AND WOADY - REMEMBER - THINK - BREATHE - THEN TYPE!!!

Vale

Ferox.
Noli Nothis permittere te terere!!

Mark.
Well Said!

Laudes to Marcus Germanicus Ferox!
I like your avatar Marcus, where'd you get that?

On your post though, there comes a point where a line has to be drawn and behavior, however innocently procured must be toned back or corrected, especially if it is getting on the nerves of other members. Avoiding reading a post on this forum in particular is not the goal of this forum's educational parameters. As such, it isn't fair for members to have to exclude themselves from reading something if they know it might bother them.

And when the same scenario happens over, and over and over again, despite what people have said over and over again, then yes, something must be done. The whole point of an educational forum is to be able to learn...however if this aspect isn't being accomplished and the resident knowlegables have done their job and then some, where is the issue then?

I agree that we've all started somewhere, and made fools of ourselves, I still do it. But I like to think I can learn and alternate my behaviour when it's pointed out to me...not 100 posts after the fact. There is a difference.

Hopefully this isn't the problem though from here on in.

Righy woady? Big Grin

Legion: TBD
Quote:if it is getting on the nerves of other members
I get the impression that people are irritated by our Woadwarrior. Although he may have been asking for some trouble by creating a thread against Iratus Maximus, I think that this thread has by now become some sort of witch hunt. I think that if Woadwarrior needs to be corrected, the moderators -four of them already contributing to this topic- must send him a private message.

As far as I am concerned, neither Woadwarrior, nor Iratus Maximus has ever gone on my nerves. In fact, I enjoy Woadwarrior's questions; his topic on Roman sexuality, for example, is a good one, and so was Iratus' reply that we had to define Christianity.
Quote:THINK - BREATHE - THEN TYPE!!!
Maybe we should all follow this advise.

And Woadwarrior: I think Iratus was right - you should show us some photos of your holiday in Rome. :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
In my honest opinion discussing any type of "sexuality" with a someone who is quite possibly a minor is a negative blow against this forum.

It only takes one remark to be taken out of context before there is a complaining parent.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Woad, if you are seriously interested in participating in the educational process that's one thing. But many of your posts look like you are trying to ruffle some feathers here or push some people's buttons for a reaction. The thing on the tunic color is self explanatory, this topic gets brought up repeatedly and it creates bad blood because it's already been argued into the ground. Just make sure next time you read the other posts before you ask a question, it might be answered with the information already present here. I don't think being a reenactor gives any of us special treatment, I think people don't answer some of your topics because they think you are just trying to get a rise out of somebody, or create some controversy. Some of your posts are very legitimate and bring up interesting insight, just make sure you don't make it personal.
Rob
Tiberius Martius Julius
Gregalis
XIV GMV

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help! Ignore list Jona Lendering 3 1,305 11-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Salvianus
  ignore this Q Rutilius 4 1,126 06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Q Rutilius
  Testing ez account, please ignore Anonymous 0 736 02-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Anonymous