Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inexpensive Die-Cut Lorica segmentata Lobate Hinges availabl
Avete omnes,

Normally I would restrict my offerings to the Marketplace, but I know just how much of a pain it can be to make good segmentata lobate hinges let alone find them for sale anywhere, so now that I can provide them cheaply, I figured I should let you all know.

They're die-cut, the die made to replicate an original hinge in my collection almost exactly- including the slight assymetry so they don't look industrially-manufactured :wink:

I can provide both complete hinges and just folded blanks. Complete hinges will have holes drilled in them and even the circular embossed decoration around the holes if desired. Blanks will not have holes or hinge slots cut.

A full set of 8 complete hinges ready to mount will be $80USD, and a full set of 16 blanks will be $20USD.

I do all the work right here, so can provide the blanks immediatley on order- no lag-time, and only 1-2 days for complete hinges.

At present I only have 0.015" (0.38mm) sheet brass with which to make the hinges (I've always found it sufficently strong), however if anyone wants thicker ones (0.020", for example), I'll need an initial order of at least $150 to justify buying the metal.

Valete

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Sounds good to me. I mangle every hinge I touch.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
super cool
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Hi Matt,
Great stuff. What's the original?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The original hinge is one I acquired from a dealer in Europe- it comes from the Balkans. Interestingly, the two halves appear to be virtually identical including the 'odd' shaped areas, suggesting to me that it might have actually been made with a cutting-die or shaped chisel. There's a fair amount of work involved in making halves even close in shape by hand, let alone so similar.

The other really great thing about this hinge is that the damage actually allows more information to be gleaned from it than if it were perfect; for example, I can tell that the hinge pin is almost exactly 3/16" in diameter (4.75mm), so I know the 3/16" brass rod I use is absolutely correct. Since some of the rivets are missing, I can tell that their shank size was just about 7/64" (2.75mm), so #10 solid copper wire is perfect for authentic rivets. Also since the iron plate to which this hinge was riveted is now gone, the peened shanks of the rivets show that the 18-gauge steel we all use for plates is indeed an accurate choice.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:the peened shanks of the rivets show that the 18-gauge steel we all use for plates is indeed an accurate choice.
For shoulder guards :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quite so- and collar/ upper back/ breastplates too- all the parts the lobate hinges attached to. They don't say anything about the girth hoops or lesser shoulder guards Wink
Very good work again, Matt!

I know how much work is involved in making those by hand (having made quite a few sets myself), so I can assure anybody interested in buying those that by the looks of it you are getting good quality for a good price here!
I get that it's 9 years later, but are your hinges still available? I need a complete set of blanks if you got em. Please email me, mjursic a t gm ail do t com. Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 268 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,771 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,916 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs