Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Pics of your Late Roman Belts
You place the index finger into the notch.

Franklin... See this previous thread..
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... t=simancas
Quote:You place the index finger into the notch.

Franklin... See this previous thread..
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... t=simancas

Ha! Fascinating.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I was late to the "Roman bottle-opener" joke. RAT is nothing if not a society of witty smart-asses.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Franklin,
Everybody was wondering about what was the notch intended for until I had the first Simancas until then ever reconstructed (mine) made by the late armourer (and he was a really superb craftsman! Cry ) Plácido Lasarte.
When I grabbed the knife I realized that the handle was too short for the hand but the problem disappeared when I, instinctively, inserted my index into the notch Idea . You get a firmer grab, totally adequated for cutting, the primary function of a knife, even if it later became -as we guess- a mark of military status...

Oh, BTW, we're going off-topic. If you want to discuss more on the Simancas, we could do it at the thead quoted by Adrian. :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Oh, BTW, we're going off-topic. If you want to discuss more on the Simancas, we could do it at the thead quoted by Adrian. :wink:

Aitor

Agreed. Last post and then I'm done.

Just one more testament to the intrinsic value of experimental archaeology! I take pride in the thought that we're contributing something of real value to the wider body of knowledge, not just dressing up for our own giggles.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
On some later Merovingian belts there is evidence of tooled or braided leather -- are there any examples of this ocurring on late Roman belts?

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Mortimer
Quote:On some later Merovingian belts there is evidence of tooled or braided leather -- are there any examples of this ocurring on late Roman belts?
Not that I know of.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Are there any extant leather pieces to late Roman belts?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The leather piece itself, not just the metal pieces.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
There`s a picture of a leather baldrick from Vimose peatbog (after C. Engelhardt, 1869) in Michel Feugere`s "Weapons of the Romans" (1993) on page 120. Maybe Vimose or Kragehul peatbog collections have some leather belts (or parts of them) too?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where have those late roman helmet pics gone?? richard robinson 6 2,502 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Roman belts by Aurificina Treveriana Agraes 15 4,562 06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman: 4th Century (pics) Chuck Russell 16 3,726 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Last Post: A_Volpe