Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet!
Quote:Yes, you are talking, indeed, about the Budapest reconstructed helm.

It has also been suspicious that Christie's didn't allow nobody to publicly examinate that helmet, forbiding to publicate any other image of it... at least, as far as I know (correct me please if I'm wrong).

wow cool helmet! Do you have a larger image of that one, Ivan? I've never seen that helmet before... 8)
Thijs Koelewijn
Salve Faventianus!

The Berkasovo 1 helmets nasal quard is quite flat from looking from the side (sorry I can`t attach images to prove opinions right now, I am still fightin with the "imageshack" :evil: ....). It might have had a more pronounced central ridge in it`s original condition.

My point is again that the Christie´s helmets nasal quard looks suspiciously like the HYPOTHETICAL reconstructed nasal quard of, for example, the Budapest helmet. Perhaps this is too much nit-picking from my side :lol: ....

By the way, are there pictures anywhere of the sassanian ridge helmet ("the mother of all late roman helmets" :wink: ) which was found from the tunnel under the collapsed tower in Dura Europos? I mean other than the drawings by Simon James and Karen Dixon?

Regards,
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
One pic of the Budapest helmet before it underwent its last restoration

[Image: Budapest.jpg]

and... how can you say that the Berkasovo 1 nasal is flat?!!! Confusedhock:

[Image: helmet2.jpg]

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Ok, point taken Big Grin !

Berkasovo 1 helmets nasal quard is not totally flat, admitted. It might even had a more pronounced angular central ridge in it´s original condition, when the iron basis of the nasal quard was there...

Are there any information about the Budapest helmet and the reconstruction of it´s missing parts? On what basis were they made?
Same goes with the so called Berkasovo 2 helmet ("The Late Roman Army" by Southern & Dixon, pl. 7)

regards,
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Jyrki,
The Berkasovo helmets still have the iron core inside (Perhaps a little bit swollen by rust? Unfortunately I haven't been able to examine them by myself) It is the Deurne (and now the Heteny one) the one with its nucleus corroded away in the acidic peat bog.
I've examined the Budapest helmet by myself and the reconstruction of its missing parts is basically OK. Of course, we'll never know for sure whether the nasal was flat or not! :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Thanks Aitor,

You have actually kept in your hands a genuine remains of a late roman helmet, wow Confusedhock: ! I just received pictures of the Concesti helmet and it seems that the cheekpieces were attached with hinges, as (if I remember correctly?) you have previously claimed.

I am definitely not the one to throw the first stone when it comes to reconstructions! I am reconstructing a "Burgh Castle" style helmet from parts provided by Joe Piela of Thelonelymountainforge. It seems to be the most common late roman helmet with a nasal quard among the re-enactors. The paradox is that the remains of that helmet are very sparse, only parts remain!

I will not add those three rivets at the tip of the nasal quard of my helmet, in my opinion their function was to hold that silvered/gilded upper layer in place.

In fact, are there any evidence of plain iron late roman helmets with nasal quards?

Regards,
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The scabbard/locket plate pictured above is very much like the Valkenberg locket, especially the L-shaped piercings.

Peroni
You're welcome, Jyrki! Big Grin
You are probably right about the three rivets on the nasal but if you look at the Berkasovo 1 helmet you will notice that the only 'functionless' rivets (i.e. not intended for joining components together) on it are precisely those at the nasal (i.e. they would be more necessary on the big flat surfaces of the bowl, wich are, moreover, pierced and overloaded with the glass fake stones and their leaden mounts. There aren't any of them at those spots, though) and perhaps they fulfiled some decorative purpose too... :?
Plain helmets with nasals? Of course, Deir-El Medineh and the Christie's one...

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Quote:
Quote:Yes, you are talking, indeed, about the Budapest reconstructed helm.

It has also been suspicious that Christie's didn't allow nobody to publicly examinate that helmet, forbiding to publicate any other image of it... at least, as far as I know (correct me please if I'm wrong).

wow cool helmet! Do you have a larger image of that one, Ivan? I've never seen that helmet before... 8)
Here it comes, Razor: http://geocities.com/ivarmaelstrom/Chri ... e-helm.jpg

Salue Virilis! Our comlito Sassanid as pics of the reconstructed Sassanid Helmet from the Dura Europos mine.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Greetings,
that nasal looks rather flat or pushed in, or are the cheek guards set fairly far forward?
What is the ruddy glow on the metal, it gives me the impression of ochre based paint.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:that nasal looks rather flat or pushed in, or are the cheek guards set fairly far forward?
Well, the cheek guards are fairly large.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Now everybody has a late shield on its signature!! :evil: :wink: Big Grin D D
Ivan Perelló
Quote:Now everybody has a late shield on its signature!! :evil: :wink: Big Grin D D
Well, who started it? :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
:oops:
Ivan Perelló
Hello Everyone,

Just had my account reactivated. Its been a while since I've posted on here, but I thought I would weigh in on this one.

Virilis Finlandicus, thanks for finding my site and opening a discussion on it.

Yes the website was designed and made by me for my items. My first website, and it took a long time to get it right!

Crispvs: The picture that you pointed out that was posted on RAT a few years ago was actually posted by me. So the one on my website is NOT a fake, but just another higher resolution picture of the same item as you later quessed.

I originally posted that picture to get peoples feedback on the era that it was from. An interesting discussion at the time.

I wish I had archeological reports on those items, but as it states most unfortinately don't.

Any feedback or comments or questions on my site would be greatly appreciated!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius-Spatha/Contus Legate 7 1,216 03-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,708 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Roman helmet on auction Genuine or Fake? jho 19 4,913 10-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe