RomanArmyTalk
Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! (/showthread.php?tid=4576)

Pages: 1 2 3

Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - Virilis - 01-25-2006

Salve!

Just found this address:
http://www.roman-artifacts.com/Gladius_ ... ndpage.htm

Any opinions about the authenticity of those artefacts?

Regards,

Re: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - FAVENTIANVS - 01-25-2006

They look real, but that depends on the archeologycal report of each item (if it exists...).

Re: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - Arahne - 01-25-2006

All the items from this site look authentic.

Re: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - Crispvs - 01-26-2006

I agree that it looks authentic. However, it looks virtually identical to one posted up on RAT a couple of years ago, seen here:

[Image: locket.jpg]

What are the chances of two locket plates that similar being found? I could easily be persuaded that one was a modern copy of the other which had been buried in sewage for a few months.
I hope it is authentic. What do other people think?

Crispvs

Re: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - FAVENTIANVS - 01-26-2006

Yeah! BTW, any news from the late Roman helmet auctioned at Christie's?
[Image: Christies-late-helm-petit.JPG]

Just for comparison, here is the new one, just in case anyone cannot follow the link:

[Image: Lockettfront.jpg]

Crispvs

Re: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - Virilis - 01-26-2006

A quick thought about the late roman helmet at Christie`s....

If I remember correctly, I have a picture of one late roman helmet with gold-plating and semi-precious stones in it. It is the same type as the Berkasovo helmet and it has a RECONSTRUCTED nasal quard which is very much like the nasal quard of the Christie`s helmet. If I remember correctly it is a helmet in a budapest museum?

My point is that the Christie´s helmets nasal quard is SUSPICIOUSLY similar with the RECONSTRUCTED nasal quard wich in my opinion DOES NOT HAVE ANY BASIS ON ANY SURVIVING NASAL QUARD. Surviving examples like Deurne, Deir-El-Medineh and that helmet from Leiden museum, their nasal quards are very different in shape....

Do I smell something here or am I just paranoid :wink: ....

Quote:A quick thought about the late roman helmet at Christie`s....

If I remember correctly, I have a picture of one late roman helmet with gold-plating and semi-precious stones in it. It is the same type as the Berkasovo helmet and it has a RECONSTRUCTED nasal quard which is very much like the nasal quard of the Christie`s helmet. If I remember correctly it is a helmet in a budapest museum?

My point is that the Christie´s helmets nasal quard is SUSPICIOUSLY similar with the RECONSTRUCTED nasal quard wich in my opinion DOES NOT HAVE ANY BASIS ON ANY SURVIVING NASAL QUARD. Surviving examples like Deurne, Deir-El-Medineh and that helmet from Leiden museum, their nasal quards are very different in shape....

Do I smell something here or am I just paranoid :wink: ....
Yes, you are talking, indeed, about the Budapest reconstructed helm.
[Image: budapest.jpg]
It has also been suspicious that Christie's didn't allow nobody to publicly examinate that helmet, forbiding to publicate any other image of it... at least, as far as I know (correct me please if I'm wrong).

About that Christie`s helmet again....

All the surviving late roman helmet`s nasal quards are flat, if I remember correctly. Christie`s and that hypothetical Budapest nasal quards have raised central ridges in them. Hmmmm.........

Sorry, except those ones:
[Image: deurne2.JPG][Image: berkasovo1apetit.JPG][Image: berkasovo2petit.JPG]

Re: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - Arthes - 01-26-2006

Quote:Just for comparison, here is the new one, just in case anyone cannot follow the link:

[Image: Lockettfront.jpg]

Crispvs
It is the same one, the leg broken in the same place and that rust stain on the other one....even the dents on the top.... :evil:
regards
Arthes

Ah yes. So it is. I should have noticed it when I compared the two pictures before I posted it up (wipes egg off his face). Thanks for pointing that out Arthes. I think I deserve a smiting for unintentionally misleading you all. Sorry. :oops:

Crispvs :oops: :roll: :oops:

Re: Genuine? Gladius & Spatha on the internet! - Arthes - 01-26-2006

Quote:Ah yes. So it is. I should have noticed it when I compared the two pictures before I posted it up (wipes egg off his face). Thanks for pointing that out Arthes. I think I deserve a smiting for unintentionally misleading you all. Sorry. :oops:

Crispvs :oops: :roll: :oops:
No, there is no information on its history, it was supposedly aquired in 2003.
I just notice these things.... :oops:
regards
Arthes

About those nasal quards again...

Yes, I know these three above helmets! I meant in my previous post that they don´t have so strongly pronounced ridge like the Christie`s and Budapest helmet. This might be due to the fact that only gilded tinning is only left, not the iron basis of the nasal quard. And furthermore, the right side helmet (so-called Berkasovo 2) has a reconstructed nasal quard....

The only nasal quard which has the gilding and the iron basis left (in the Leiden museum?) is completely flat....

Regards,

What about the Berkasovo 1 ?