Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tunic Color? No its not the same old debate!
There's reference to the Vitellian officers wearing white, from Tacitus, but I've never found that Severus source.

"In front of the eagles marched the prefects of the camp, the tribunes and the centurions of the first rank, all dressed in white, the other centurions marched with their respective centuries, bearing their arms proudly and showing their decorations, as for other ranks they sparkled with phalerae and neck torcs"
Tacitus Hist II.49
www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Signum.html

[2.89] .... "Next came thirty-four auxiliary cohorts, distinguished according to the names or various equipments of the nations. Before each eagle were the prefects of the camp, the tribunes, and the centurions of highest rank, in white robes, and the other officers by the side of their respective companies, glittering with arms and decorations. The ornaments and chains of the soldiers presented a brilliant appearance. It was a glorious sight, and the army was worthy of a better Emperor than Vitellius."
mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/tacitus/TacitusHistory02.html
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Tarbicus, what about desert storm camouflage?
[size=150:4o55ncns]While I like the camo, I think Splinter A or Fall Oak might be neater... or even modern Flektarn... Tarbicus, you really are a PhotoShop God!!!! :-) ) [/size]
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Heh heh heh ... thanks Marsh :wink: Happy New Year.

for_marsh.jpg

Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Oh the wonders of Photoshop....hehe
Another thought comes to mind....if the Romans wore red tunics....were they the inspiration for Santa Claus...!
They definitely wore green in York....the ghosts proved so.....something to do with marching through the Forest of Galtres maybe!
White for purity and festivals
Red for war or sacrifice
Green for marching in the forest lands
Yellow for marching in the desert lands
Blue for sailing the sea
Brown for cavalry to blend with the horses
hehe
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Aye, and the tea-towel version for when they were working in the kitchens.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What color for tunic johnlg3 2 1,315 05-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius