Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Karma\'
Well, it's just the click of a button.
Andy, the idea of the rankings system came up as a way for the admins and moderators to use as an indication of who should get (for instance) the phalera award. Basically, it is another attempt to involve the menbers in the board. I admit to tinkering a lot with the board for such purposes, but if it gets reactions, I'm happy.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Maybe it would be better if we had a system like Ebay has, where you have to give a comment, and where everyone can see who gave whom a Karma point, and why? It's like in politics: transparency is everything... Tongue
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Who feels the same about this?
I agree with Jona and Christian.
The negative karma is too dangerous. it's anonymous and adds little to nothing. The positive karma (can't we find a Latin word? Or is it?) however is a good addition.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
i think the karma thing is a good one, but i admit that i'm somewhat uncertain about the negative karrma points.

i think that we see how this is going over a few months.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Ok. I have disabled the karma minus option. It's still visible, but doesn't work anymore. I have also reset all minus points to 0. In due course we can always decide to turn it back on.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
[Image: urrazoidberg.gif]
Hurray!
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Ok. I have disabled the karma minus option.

Darn :!: I was trying to give negative karma to Newsbot :lol:
Jaime
:lol: Poor him.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Now I am afraid to post again! And I was just about to make up some convincing reason why someone else was using my membership to post what I have already posted.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
:lol:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Valerius, you don't want a Latin word for this "karma" thing. Because it's not a very Roman phenomenon, but a very very Greek one (dang democrat hippies, the lot of 'em!). I know I'm not the first Roman to ask myself why we whupped all those phalanxes' butts back then in the roaring 600s (rather nice butts most of them now that I think about it ... agh, it's the Greek influence again - run for the Capitol Hills!). :roll:

The word isn't some word taken from the farthest provinces of Alexander's journeys where the world ends. The word is one from his homelands.

And it is Οστρακοι - simple as that. Tongue
PRIMVS CALPVRNIVS LIVIANVS aka SANGVE aka Øystein Bech Gadmar
LEG XV AP of Norway (Romans? In Norway?!)

Somniatorem me dixeris, sed unicus non sum
-- Johannes Lennonius, MXMLXXI
Quote:Valerius, you don't want a Latin word for this "karma" thing. Because it's not a very Roman phenomenon, but a very very Greek one (dang democrat hippies, the lot of 'em!). I know I'm not the first Roman to ask myself why we whupped all those phalanxes' butts back then in the roaring 600s (rather nice butts most of them now that I think about it ... agh, it's the Greek influence again - run for the Capitol Hills!). :roll:

The word isn't some word taken from the farthest provinces of Alexander's journeys where the world ends. The word is one from his homelands.

YES aggree with "Οστρακοι" but we ar not all democrat hippies; the word TYRRANIE or TYRRANIA still survives in this world :lol:
Quote:Valerius, you don't want a Latin word for this "karma" thing. Because it's not a very Roman phenomenon, but a very very Greek one (dang democrat hippies, the lot of 'em!). I know I'm not the first Roman to ask myself why we whupped all those phalanxes' butts back then in the roaring 600s (rather nice butts most of them now that I think about it ... agh, it's the Greek influence again - run for the Capitol Hills!). :roll:

Is that what the Norse called Hamingja?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
At the Geschichtsforum is also a rating system similar to the karma. But there you have to write a short comment when rating a special post, so the person who wrote that could see in his/her profile section the comments. As long as people use this system in a fair way it's OK. But I noticed that especially when rating a post negative they do this anonymously and very often the comment is not qualified. Something like "I don't believe this" is more on the mellow side of commenting.

I received now five karma points which makes me happy since I only have a few posts so far. But with a little comment it would be nicer because then I could see which post was really of interest to the others.

Maybe you, Jasper, could add a comment section, but leave out the negative voting. If I really disagree I either could say that in a post or in a pm in a polite way.
You got all the karma points in one go Svenja. I gave all members one/year of RAT as a thank you for making this community as good as it is.
Sorry if that disappoints you.

And yes, I have read about such a ratings system, but it would add another ratings system and I'd have to remove this one... Personally, I'll be happy if the domain transfer proceeds well. Then I only have to redo the imagebase in the CMS, because asp does not work on this server. After that, it'll be the turn of a diploma database... Still following?
Anyways, not really spoiling for more techy things to do right now. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laudes (karma) system Praefectusclassis 17 3,961 12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Ghostmojo
  "Karma Change Disabled for this User" Jona Lendering 7 3,158 07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis