Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman iron helmet
Look at this interesting late Roman iron helmet:

link removed by moderator due to violation of forum rule # 4
Raeticus
Good Lord!!!!

[Image: D4617487r.jpg]

That's one great example of a Berkasovo II! The bowl appears to be constructed of two halves, not four as you see in the 'Burgh Castle'/Concesti class.
Very large cheek- and neckplates, btw, almost like a Niederbieber.No sign of earholes, and no sign of the protective guards on top of the cheekplates (though these could have been lost).
The attachment of the cheekplates to the rim reminds me of the Der el medineh helmet.
Very elegant nasal, too.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Is this real? I know that Christies is a prestigious auctions house but, it is so incredible!!!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Is this real?
I don't know, but if they dare ask $15.000 for it, I bet it is!!
(can someone lend me $14.950?)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It's very strange. The ring part of the bowl do'nt seems to be riveted to the two halves. The cheekpieces are puted over that ring, so the protective guards are prescindible. Seems one cheekpiece overlaps the another one and are fixed with a pin or rivet visible in the photo at the right part of the right cheekpiece.

it doesn't show holes for the intern lining stitching. And don't have silver sheet covering.

In general, shows some caractheristics of III century helmets (specially regarding the cheekpieces) and some others from posterior times (bowl constructed in pieces riveted, the nasal, etc.)

Problem is the provenience of the helmet. We can't be sure 100% of the autenticity, so we can't use 100% that helmet for a archaeologic study.
A pity to have only one pic and not a very good one! Sad
The protective bands on top of the cheek-pieces were intended to protect the gap left between the basal ring and cheek-pieces by the use of internal hinges. In this case, like in the Deir el Medina helmet, the hinges are external, so, no gap, no bands.
The Deir el Medina helmet has no border holes around the edges of cheeks and neck-guard too, but it possesses them along the lower border of basal ring.
It has also internal rings rivetted to the inner side of the cheek-pieces for the chinstraps. Probaly that would be the case here, better than a pin joining both cheek-pieces.
The form of the 'eyebrows' is very interesting too. Fourth century 'eyebrows' don't have usually that horizontal extension at their ends, but those of the Deir el Medina helmet have it.
I would bet that the neck-guard is joined to the bowl by means of a hinge too.
Probably, late Third century, like Cesar has pointed out.
About the provenance, I wouldn't bet my life for it but, with that degree of preservation, there are high possibilities of it being Egypt. Diocletian crushed an important revolution there... 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Included in the same sale:
[Image: D4617486r.jpg]
Christies face mask

And also some other interesting items:
Bone objects
Republican bust
Etruscan bronze warrior
One for Comerus Gallus Romus Smile 2v2khngc]
[url=http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/search/LOTDETAIL.ASP?sid=&intObjectID=4617323:2v2khngc]Corinthian helmet

Mosaic glass inlay
Egyptian mummy portrait - Roman period
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
To quote Robert - Good Lord!!!!

We may have our earliest found Roman ridge helm here. My guess is 285AD - 300AD also.

Does anyone have any clout with Christies? We need pictures, lots of pictures. I am pretty ignorant on how auction houses work, but if someone popped in, does any one think they would let them photograph the item?

We could pretend they were interested in buying it for Robert. Big Grin

Andrew
"We need pictures, lots of pictures. " Normally this would be in the catalogue- does someone have a copy that they could then scan and post?

Cheers

Britannicus
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I have emailed Christies, and begged to see some more pictures. I am not proud when it comes to 3rd century helmets...

Andrew
Many thanks, Andrew!
Let's see what happens now...
In any case, that helmet clearly deserves to be seriously studied and published before it is again lost of view! Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I would buy a catalogue if I knew there were good pictures in it. The price is steep, $40 plus postage, but this helmet should not be allowed to disappear before we have every possible detail about it. I feel a commission in the air.

Andrew
Quote:In any case, that helmet clearly deserves to be seriously studied and published before it is again lost of view!

You got in before me, but exactly right. :lol:

Andrew
Quote:
FAVENTIANVS:1wumpbb8 Wrote:Is this real?
(can someone lend me $14.950?)
No.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
If I had some better pics, I might be able to talk my armourer friend into making a copy Confusedhock:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,435 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,835 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria caiusbeerquitius 115 30,052 07-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Urselius