Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPQR IX: Princess & the Pirates/ J. Maddox Roberts
Just finished the latest in JMR's SPQR series, where our now married hero, Decius Caecilius Metullus, is off to Cyprus to sweep the seas of some left over pirates. It's another wonderful read, and well worth obtaining. What comes across particularly well is JMR"s depiction of Roman political maneuvering, even at a remote outpost like Cyprus. As someone on RAT pointed out long ago, it is far more likely that a plebian senator like Decius would know his social peers and their habits than, say a Falco or Gordianus, hence, the interactions seem more likely.

I am convinced JMR know Flavia in real life: can I get an introduction????!!
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
This is excellent reading, as usual from John Maddox Roberts, The book is well worth reading, even though I was looking for more naval combat. The politics and social interactions are a lot of fun. I want to see the movie!!!!!
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Maddox Roberts "Princess and the Pirates (SPQR IX) Caius Fabius 6 2,009 11-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Last Post: rkmvca1
  The Seven Hills by John Maddox Roberts Caius Fabius 3 1,799 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius
  Upcoming Maddox Roberts, L. Davis; others? richsc 0 1,113 12-27-2002, 04:34 AM
Last Post: richsc