Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Maddox Roberts "Princess and the Pirates (SPQR IX)
Just finished re-reading this one, yes it was worth a second read!
I didn't see it reviewed. I give it 5 stars!

I admit I am partial to the series, since it is one of the first modern Roman detective series, pre-dating many of the more recent offerings. I think this series came to my attention in 1990, and it has been popular in The USA, UK and Germany. (Some books were only available in Germany for several years.)

Here is the synopsis from Amazon.

Decius Caecilius Metellus is dispatched from Rome by his patrician family to deal with a resurgence in piracy to Cyprus, where he encounters the young Cleopatra, whose true allegiances remain obscure. With scant resources, Metellus seeks recruits from the dregs of Cyprian society and attempts to whip his forces into a squad capable of ending the violent pillaging. His focus shifts when Silvanus, the island's Roman governor, is found dead, asphyxiated by a mouthful of frankincense. The economics of the international trade in that aromatic spice prove relevant as Metellus suspects a connection between the assassination and his primary mission. The occasional colloquial phrase jars ("Rosy-fingered Dawn was performing her daily act as we pulled up by the naval wharf"), and Roberts has the misfortune of suffering by comparison with Steven Saylor, whose latest Roman mystery, The Judgment of Caesar, used the historical Cleopatra to much better effect. Still, longtime fans and those interested in the Roman Republic will enjoy this crafty puzzle.

Okay, I like Lindsey Davis' books too!

Caius Fabius
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Thanks, Caius! Unfortunately, Amazon makes the common mistake of thinking that all upper-class Roman families were patrician. Decius's family, the gens Caecilia Metella, were plebeian. SPQR XI: A POINT OF LAW, is now in the pre-publication process. I hope it will be out early next year. Meanwhile, I'm working on SPQR XIII:THE YEAR OF CONFUSION, for my German publishers.
Pecunia non olet
John, do you write the manuscripts in German, or does the publisher translate them for you? I remember picking up one of your books in a German bookstore, but I was glad to finally get a English version. I puzzled my way through the German version for weeks, but I just don't easily flow when reading German. (I am illiterate!)
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Caius:
I only write in English, then the books are translated into German. On SPQR X, my American publisher lost a page and I didn't have a manuscript copy or disc to replace it, and since it was a book I'd written 6 or 7 years ago, I had no idea what I'd written on that page. So I had to use a copy of the German edition and with my brother's help back-translated that page from German.
Pecunia non olet
And I just forgot my copy of the River God's Vengeance at the airport when I was picking up my dad. Was not even halfway through. I hate it when that happens, and it was just getting suspenseful...
Stuff like that really bugs me.
Aka
Christoph
@John:

after finishing your "Orakel des Todes" (SPQR XII), I've worried it could be the last one in the series (twelve makes a good count for a saga ;-). First of all, I really like your book, but the final few sentences sound sad and doomed.

Well, we know that DCM short-stories continue some time into the principate (and the famous actress Galeria Copiola, born in the same year as DCM, reached an age of 105 - maybe DCM also)... but after the delay of SPQR XII I've feared the worst - Sometimes autors loose the interrest (or ideas) in continuing their sagas and that may result in an unsatisfying end.

But now, I've happily read, that SPQR XIII is on the run (and 13 or 14 are bad counts for closing a saga, I hope you agree ;-).

Therefore, some few questions from the fan to the author (if you allow):
Why had there been such a long delay for "Oracle of the Dead" and (even more important) when will SPQR XIII be finished and published? And will "Hannibals Children" be published in germany in the near future?

In general I'm curious, how long do you work on a SPQR book (in terms for research/planning and pure writing)?

thx in advance
KAI
Just thought I'd mention that I really like your stuff, John.

cheers,

Rich K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,902 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  SPQR IX: Princess & the Pirates/ J. Maddox Roberts richsc 1 1,161 05-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Caius Fabius
  The Seven Hills by John Maddox Roberts Caius Fabius 3 1,799 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Caius Fabius