Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Seven Hills by John Maddox Roberts
I'll be lazy and copy and paste here:<br>
<br>
The Seven Hills is the second book in a Roman semi-historical fiction, what-if novel. It is not HISTORY! That being said, it is an excellent work of story telling with a very strong understanding of historical Rome and the Roman military systems. This book is even more fast-paced than the initial volume, and has the color and life that a master storyteller breathes into his creation.<br>
With so many realistic and complicated characters, you feel as if you are actually in the alternate universe, witnessing the devious politics, the bloody battles and the naval action. The most disappoint part of this book is when you reach the last page, and realize that you don't have the third volume at hand.<br>
Rome against Carthage! Rome against Judea! Rome against Cilician pirates, wily Greeks, and bloodthirsty Celto-Iberians, Illyrians and Spartans! Did I mention that Egypt is a lively nation, where philosophers actually experiment with technology? Perhaps it will be Rome against Egypt and Parthia as well! Roman against Roman is always a given, watch your enemies, and watch your friends closer!<br>
Five Stars for an interesting book that will amuse the history buff, give the war gamer ideas for a semi-historical campaign setting, and entertain the action adventure crowd!<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I waited to read Caius' review until I finished the book, but I second his opinion. I was a bit puzzled by the opening exposition of two philosophers, though there had to be a bit of review from the previous volume, but that theme was useful throughout the book, as it turns out. I only wish there had been such an Archimedean school! <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks for the good reviews, guys. Coming from people who know ancient Rome, it means a lot. I didn't even know it had been released. <p></p><i></i>
We know you are very busy working on the next volume!<br>
(sound of a whip cracking) <p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HANNIBAL\'S CHILDREN, THE SEVEN HILLS????? Caius Afer 11 4,717 01-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  John Maddox Roberts "Princess and the Pirates (SPQR IX) Caius Fabius 6 1,967 11-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Last Post: rkmvca1
  SPQR IX: Princess & the Pirates/ J. Maddox Roberts richsc 1 1,125 05-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Caius Fabius