Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards
Crispvs to answer your first question, it was less than five minutes to do and it is just the fact the tin snips on the left have flattened the end as it cut through it was the same on the opposite end which you cannot see. But I would first file and sand the edges before giving it a final run along to finish as you can see in the final photo along the edges nice and smooth.
To your second question I will show the tools I use to do the ring bends again very simple,  the brass I use old or new, 99% of the time I use no heat at all just my hands and a little help from a Thor hammer. The one in the photo is a Thracian locket type which is bent back on itself, the Mainz/Pompeii type the opposite. By putting in the profile on the brass it does not loose its shape when you bend it round a rod. So will post photos of the process.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards - by brennivs - tony drake - 05-20-2017, 08:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? sulla felix 217 53,079 07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,458 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius Titus Publius Saturninus 92 23,531 06-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Marcus Hortensius Castus