Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Tents for Reenactments
Ave,<br>
I am preparing to buy a tent for late Roman reenactments and I was wondering if anyone knows whether the "wedge" style tents were utilized by the Romans? Mine will have to be canvas, leather is too expensive, therefore out of the question for me. I am aware that they used wall tents, but what about the triangular wedge tents, just tall enough to stand in? Can anyone help? Does anyone know of a good, reliable, reasonably priced vendor for such tents? Any help would be greatly appreciated! <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, draconarius, Secunda Brittanica<br>
www.greeneknightforge.bravehost.com </p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
I can't recommend any vendors, but I may be able to help you with documentation. I just bought a new book I couldn't afford (Bauer/Zimmermann: Epochenwandel?, Mainz 2001, very interesting stuff on late antiquity and cultural continuity in there) and it has a number of pictures from the 6th century 'Vienna Genesis' reproduced in it. The book is of the 'if it moves, gild it' school and hails from the East (probably Syria) and it has several depictions of tents. Nowe,l I'm not claiming these represent military tents, but they most likely do represent what most people thought of when the word 'tent' was mentioned and they bear no relation to classical iconography I can spot. Most likely, these were simply tents the artist knew.<br>
<br>
The basic design is a triangular tent, with a horizontal ridgepole held up by two vertical support poles. The ridgepole sticks out on both sides of the tent. The material of the tent itself is laid over the ridgepole. it is mnost likely cloth or felt as it is painted in light beige-ish brown without the prominent seams of leather tents. There is no indication of any tentnails or guy ropes, but I would put that down to simplification by the artist rather than actual absence. The front (facing the viewer) is open, leaving the possibility that this tent is simply a square tarp. However, we can't see the back and I would be reluctant to exclude a more elaborate design. They are definitely close cousins to the so-called 'Saxon tent' or 'Geteld' popular among Dark Age re-enactors that is documented from many manuscript sources between 800 and 1100.<br>
<br>
As to size, proportion and sixth-century art don't mix well, so I doubt we can say anything definite. In the pictures, the tents are a little over shoulder-high to standing figures, but there are people shown seated in them that appear to be a good bit smaller than the standing ones. In one image, the tent is furnished with what looks like a folding stool, which wouldn't make sense if it wasn't at least standing height.<br>
<br>
I really need a scanner. This would be so easy...<br>
<br>
Volker <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Very New light on roman tents construction Cacaius 62 17,699 12-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Last Post: garrelt
  Reproduction Roman leather military tents? Gordak 67 14,703 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte
  Roman Military Tents Carried in sections by the Men Anonymous 21 4,179 04-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Flavius Promotus