Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directions for making Pteruges ? For you guys who make them
Avete, I have a question for anyone who has made for themselves a set of pteruges : Do you have posted anywhere directions of how you make them ? If not, could you please lay out some basic steps ? I'm interested in the leather version, not the linen kind.<br>
<br>
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Valete.<br>
-Theo <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Ave Theodisius,<br>
<br>
I will put closeup pictures in the next update of my website, I haven't had time to work on it lately- my available time is taken up with making Roman stuff. Here's a description of my process however, which is basically how Legion VI in Los Angeles is making them. There are some pictures on my site where you can see them pretty well on the subarmalis page- florentius.com/subarmalis.htm We mostly use a soft leather subarmalis, and the pteruges are sewn directly to it. I used 4-6 oz vegetanned cowhide. I cut 2 1/2 inch wide strips from the hide. For my measurements, there are 16 total. Across the front 4 and back 4, they are butted edge to edge, the remaining pteruges are overlapped around the sides. The six back ones are longer, to accomodate butt curvature, the 4 on the sides about 1/2 inch shorter, and the front 1 inch shorter. Each pteruge is backed with a layer of thinner leather, in my case pigskin, (which I pretend tomyself is goat). I bought a beautiful calfskin for it, then I couldn't bear to waste it as a lining. I indulge in barge cement for all my leather work, which I am well aware the Roman did not use, but it really makes my life easier- I'm just not a museum quality re-enactor. I glued the two layers together, the scribed a grove around the side and bottom edges of each one, 3/16 inches in from the edge, marked and punched a s#@tload of holes, and stitched around the edges. I used a light colored thread, but I think in retrospect, darker would have been better. The pteruges where then laid out and glued to a "no stretch" piece waistband material (on the underside), with the proper edge butting and overlap sections. This assembly was glued a strip of leather (on the outside) 1 inch wide, 1/2 inch up. This allowed me to stitch across the bottom edge of the pteruges, through the waist band material, and make one very solidly assembled piece. I marked across the bottom of the subarmalis 1 inch up or so, glued down the top edge of the top band, and stitched it down. After assembly I applied a couple coats of medium brown leather dye, but I would strongly recomend dyeing before assembly- its easier to get edges and crannies. I did not dye the lining leather, only the exposed edges. I find them comfortable, adding a protective layer between soft weekend warrior flesh, and the bottom edge of a steel lorica. I really will endeavor to update my website soon with more pictures<br>
Best luck, feel free to ask questions, I'll babble on...<br>
Vale, Quintus Florentius<br>
LEGVIVICPF<br>
www.florentius.com <p></p><i></i>
Avete!<br>
<br>
I've only done pteruges on my Greek linothorax,<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/hoplite/linothor.html<br>
<br>
so can't give much practical advice. I do agree that the evidence implies some sort of two-layer construction, or perhaps a folded edge or some sort of separate edging. Detailed depictions always seem to include a line around the edges.<br>
<br>
However, I would say that you should never bother dyeing leather to make it brown. Just oil it and let it sit for a couple days so that the splotchiness has time to even out. Then if it isn't dark enough, oil it more.<br>
<br>
If you want your leather to be red or black or blue or some other color, sure, dye it (just remember that oiling it afterwards will darken it). But good natural leather browns naturally when properly treated with oil, wax, or grease.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks Quintus and Matthew ! That does help a lot. I'll see if I can make an attempt sometime this year and show you the results.<br>
<br>
Valete.<br>
-Theo <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Avete,<br>
<br>
Does anyone know where to buy leather (and any other materials) for the construction of pteruges ?<br>
<br>
Thank you.<br>
-Theo <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Where do you live? If yo are in the USA the Tandy online site is available at:<br>
tandyleather <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Hi Caius,<br>
<br>
Thank you, yes I live in Northern California.<br>
<br>
-Theo <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Ave! Just wanted to add a couple thoughts...<br>
<br>
Historically, pteruges do not seem to be worn at all with segmentata in the 1st Cent AD. They appear on the Column of Marcus Aurelius, circa 180 AD, but are completely devoid on Trajan's Column, circa 105 AD. The entirety of evidence available concurs with this. The famous bronze statuette showing seg w pteruges is a mid 2nd C. artifact. No single piece of evidence exists showing pteruges with segmentata before the mid 2nd Century. Which is strange, considering they seem to have been worn with hamata from Rupublican times clear through to Arthurian. I only mention this in hopes of keeping our collective portrayals as accurate as possible, and because most reenactors seem to portray 1st Cent.AD.<br>
<br>
As far as dying the leather goes, I would agree with Quintus in that there was no real need to dye them dark in ancient times, oil and sun would've done that naturally. But in modern times, when we get so comparatively few opportunities to wear our kit [and expose the leather to the patina-endowing powers of the sun], it looks anachronistic to see supposed veterans on display wearing what is clearly recently-cut veg-tan leather. Unless the leather is at least a healthy medium brown (we actually go with chocolate brown, then oil), it adds an element of "I just made these yesterday" to your kit.<br>
<br>
Here's to a spectacular 2005 for Rome!<br>
<br>
G. Darius Sev.<br>
Leg VI Vic PF <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,554 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Making Pteruges (or at least trying to make Pteruges!) AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 141 48,537 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Last Post: madoc
  Making one piece Tongue Pteruges AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 2 2,127 11-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Magnus