Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman forts before excavation ...
Salve!

I am in search of pictures, photographs etc. of Roman fortresses and forts before excavation. I am interested in their outlook in landscape, more precisely of the forts built on slight slopes like e.g. Housesteads! :-)

Thanks in advance.
" Finally, upon being asked by Tiberius why his people had taken it into their heads to revolt and to war against the Romans so long, he replied: "You Romans are to blame for this; for you send as guardians of your flocks, not dogs or shepherds, but wolves." - Cassius Dio, LVI, 16, 3
Quote:I am in search of pictures, photographs etc. of Roman fortresses and forts before excavation. I am interested in their outlook in landscape, more precisely of the forts built on slight slopes like e.g. Housesteads! :-)
Housesteads is on a bit more than a 'slight' slope! The builders had to terrace the CO's house. :-)

For starters, the precise position of every legionary fortress (where known, and some aren't!) are in my book as latlon coordinates, and handily placed on Google Maps on the accompanying website. Google Earth uses SRTM data to reconstruct topography (which has only 90m accuracy outside the USA for some bizarre reason) so it's no match for a proper topographical survey with a total station or even a high resolution lidar survey, but for all that it's there and it's free.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
When I look for the multitude of Roman forts found by my late friend Raymond Selkirk that are all over Northumberland I go to Google earth and use a conversion system that I have which converts Grid ref' to Lat' / Long that works fantastic in GE.
In fact in Google I have also traced the Stanegate road all the way from Corbridge to the City of Newcastle but then it vanishes with all the industrial work along the Tyne over the years, however with its position following the river I might even suspect that the Pons Aelius fort might even have been a Stanegate fort.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks, Michael!

I completely forgot about your website, even though I have your book Smile Although, I am having a bit trouble with finding forts that are on slope Smile The reasoning behind this is one assumed auxiliary fort about which I am writing an article, so I am looking for similar ,I guess we could call it terracing inside forts! Therefore if you know any other examples I would be glad if you could share them with me.

Luka.
" Finally, upon being asked by Tiberius why his people had taken it into their heads to revolt and to war against the Romans so long, he replied: "You Romans are to blame for this; for you send as guardians of your flocks, not dogs or shepherds, but wolves." - Cassius Dio, LVI, 16, 3
Quote:Although, I am having a bit trouble with finding forts that are on slope Smile
Mike, not Michael, Mickey, Mick or any other dubious variant ;-)

I'll give you the vexillation fortress at Osmanthorpe near Southwell for free. That's definitely on a slope (I dug there).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Forts or Ruins in Northern Scotland? Roman Military History is 4 Me 20 5,177 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Roman Maryport - New Excavation Vindex 4 1,515 07-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Informationon Roman Forts in Britian. auxilary 9 2,470 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Muzzaguchi