Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Informationon Roman Forts in Britian.
Can someone point me in the direction of information on the known Forts in Britian.
This comes about after seeing a Time Team show( we get them about two years old her in Australia).
Is there a book on the subject, especially during the early 2nd late 1st century as they pushed north towards the Picts.
Thanking in advance

Auxilary
Graham Southam
Although I don't know the quality of the books:
[url:1or4osv9]http://www.oxbowbooks.com/results.cfm/q/forts%20in%20britain/[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi there
Lots of good books on the subject:

For me, foremost and most specific is Roman Forts in Britain by Paul Bidwell ISBN no 0-7134-7100-X

And then there's Hadrian's Wall by David Breeze and Brian Dobson ISBN 0-1402-7182-1, two academics from the University of Durham who have spent decades working on the forts of the wall. If you're interested enough, and happen to be visiting the UK, they run 5 day courses on the forts and the army of Hadrian's Wall, which sound utterly fascinating, but which I've not had the time to do - yet. And the whole of the wall now has a walking path on it, from coast to coast - a magical chance to see at first hand the achievement it was. Stunning scenery and some good little museums on the way too. And pubs. The whole wall is to be lit up at night in Nov and Dec this year too, as a culture thing. Will be worth seeing.

Also Eagles over Britannia by Guy de la Bedoyere ISBN 0-7524-1923-4, an excellent book about the Roman military in Britain from the conquest to the 5th century AD.

Don't forget Osprey books - Rome's Northern Frontier AD 70-235, Beyond Hadrian's Wall by Nic Fields ISBN 1-8417-6832-4, and Hadrian's Wall AD 122-410 also by Nic Fields, ISBN 1-8417-6430-2.

Harder to find volumes include The Coming of Rome (Britain Before the Conquest) by John Wacher ISBN 0-586-08369-3,
Later Roman Britain (Britain Before the Conquest) by Stephen Johnson ISBN 0-586-08372-3
and The Northern Counties to AD 1000 by Nick Higham ISBN 0-582-49276-9, each with some good sections on Roman forts.

As you can probably tell, it's a subject dear to my heart, and the wall is the subject of my first manuscipt, which did not quite make the cut and is languishing on my laptop! I will return to it one day...

Cheers
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:Can someone point me in the direction of information on the known Forts in Britian.
Don't forget Roman Auxiliary Forts (UK) | Roman Auxiliary Forts (USA) | Roman Auxiliary Forts (D) ! Big Grin

(Whatever happened to the "Amazon" tag? :x )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Let's not forget Peter Green's excellent List of Roman Military Sites in Britain.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The Roman Fort by Peter Conolly (isbn 0-19-917108-4) is quite a good general book - on the down side he seems over - fond of the 'white limewash - red stripe' style of decorating buildings, but this is outweighed by the positives. He provides great illustrations of Roman forts, particularly internal buildings, which is good for a model maker such as myself.
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
I would agree with Mike Bishop that Peter Green has done some good work with his "List of Roman Military Sites in Britain" however I do think that he gives a bit of miss information here and there.
Brian Stobbs
Have you visited http://www.roman-britain.org/ yet?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Have you visited http://www.roman-britain.org/ yet?
One of my favourites, Robert; although it's not infallible (who is?) and some caution should be exercised.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
HI,

I'd also suggest Roger Wilson's A Guide to the Roman Remains of Britain (4th edition 2002) (unless there is a more recent one) - I found it a real goldmine of destinations to drag my wife to when travelling around the UK and although it has everything else, there are forts a plenty. In the same vein there are also William Manning's Roman Wales (Pocket Guide 2001) and Lawrence Keppie's The Legacy of Rome. Scotland's Roman Remains (3rd edition 2004)

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman forts before excavation ... Luka Bruketa 4 1,472 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Roman Forts or Ruins in Northern Scotland? Roman Military History is 4 Me 20 5,097 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Roman Forts in Northeast England - Wikipedia Articles MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 40 8,144 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS