Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Maggiore Mosaic
If we are talking about what Roman art brings you on mind a see these pictures like possible representation of Niederbieber type helmet...Although mosaic is dated to 4th century.
Rest is Diocletian decennalia monument in rome and tombstone of third century soldier now stored in Constantinople.

And those Dura soldiers always reminded me Niederbieber helmets as well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Santa Maggiore is dated to 430-442, long after 4th century.
Im not talking about Magiore mosaics(although 30-50 years is not so long after)but about that I show here now ;-)
Quote:these pictures like possible representation of Niederbieber type helmet...

Very nice! And yes, they do look like very clear representations of Niederbieber types - interesting to see them going on into the 4th century. I hadn't seen that mosaic before - does the jpg title say it's from a synagagoe in Merot, or something? Any more info?

(These 'trophy' helmets from the Diocletian relief look very similar to ones on the (reused) column bases from the Arch of Constantine. It looks like they have twin feather or plumed side crests!)

While on the subject of uncertain helmet depictions, here's this one again, the 'Hercules' mosaic from Piazza Armerina. We've discussed this one before, but the jury's still out - Niederbieber? Intercisa? Something... else?

[Image: SuperStock_1788-1301.jpg]
Nathan Ross
I always saw those as relatively clear representations of Intercisa with metal crest.

And that mosaic you asking for: King David Surrounded by Weapons, Probably after his Victory over Goliath, from Synagogue
at Merot, Upper Galilee, at Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 5th century AD

So...dated to 5th century.
You mean this one? To me it's rather clearly a stylized intercisa helmet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:King David Surrounded by Weapons...dated to 5th century.

Thanks! Although, as the costume too is very third century (colours and all very similar to the Dura paintings), I'd be tempted to think that this was either an older mosaic installed in a much later building, or a 5th-century copy of an older mosaic.

Quote: it's rather clearly a stylized intercisa helmet.

I wouldn't say any of these helmets are 'clearly' anything! If only they were... Pavel's examples look very Niederbieberish, but beyond that we really can't be too sure. Doesn't stop us guessing though... Wink

(EDIT - I notice the picture in my last post doesn't seem to appear unless you refresh the browser - odd! But I'm sure you know the one I mean...)
Nathan Ross
Im confused-who means who?Nathan,me? :errr: I think those helmets on Nathan pic are very likely Intercisa specimens with metal crests.
I agree with Idea their datation migh be wrong at that David mosaic.And no problem see that picture of yours from my side.I use Mozzila Firefox.
Quote:I wouldn't say any of these helmets are 'clearly' anything! If only they were...

INDEED-below that I can sign!
Pavel, ... Pavel you know I love you, don't you? So, if a move you a small observation you won't hate me? Tongue

It's about the Title of the Thread: 'Santa Maria Magiorre Mosaic', it should be. 'Santa Maria Maggiore Mosaic', 'Maggiore' actually corresponds to the Latin 'Maior' (English: Greater) that is the superlative of the adjective 'Magnus', (Italian: Grande, En.: 'Great'), while the superlative absolute is 'Maxismus' (italian: Massimo, En.: Greatest), the intervocalic sound of the 'i' in Italian has become 'gg' but still conserving the same meaning and function.
So, the meaning of 'Santa Maria Maggiore' is Saint Mary the Greater, in the meaning of 'greater' compared to other churches named Saint Maria (actually a lot of churches in Italy are dedicated to mom of Jesus).
It was constructed because an ecumenical council had recently ruled about something to do with Mary.
Quote: .... about something to do with Mary.

:o The Mom? Something about the Mom? What? ..... now I've become curious, Evan, you know that it's my weak point ....
Quote:Pavel, ... Pavel you know I love you, don't you? So, if a move you a small observation you won't hate me? Tongue

It's about the Title of the Thread: 'Santa Maria Magiorre Mosaic', it should be. 'Santa Maria Maggiore Mosaic', 'Maggiore' actually corresponds to the Latin 'Maior' (English: Greater) that is the superlative of the adjective 'Magnus', (Italian: Grande, En.: 'Great'), while the superlative absolute is 'Maxismus' (italian: Massimo, En.: Greatest), the intervocalic sound of the 'i' in Italian has become 'gg' but still conserving the same meaning and function.
So, the meaning of 'Santa Maria Maggiore' is Saint Mary the Greater, in the meaning of 'greater' compared to other churches named Saint Maria (actually a lot of churches in Italy are dedicated to mom of Jesus).

Ha I was going to jokingly point out the same thing with the title. However the sound shift you're talking about is /gg/ because it was built on the root magnus not maior. Meh, that's the kind of stuff that happened in vulgar speech. The reason we get /gg/ from gn is because in Latin the sound was actually something like /nbg/ so magnus = mangnus (not exactly, it was nasalised) which is why the sound develops differently in so many Romance dialects. I think Sardinian has kept the hangnail sound as we call it whereas standard Italian resolves it to /gg/. Actually its remarkably similar to something that happened with some other Indo-European dialects.
Jass
Quote:Pavel, ... Pavel you know I love you, don't you? So, if a move you a small observation you won't hate me? Tongue

I apologize to all Italians for misplacing two letters in the name of that church-please have mercy with my poor soul Idea :grin:

Well you can believe me there are also words in my own native language where one misplaced letter can completely change resulting meaning of that word :-)

P.S.- love you too Carlo Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Santa Maggiore mosaics - resource with lots of photos Theodosius the Great 6 2,161 10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Agraes
  Santa Maria Maggiore mosaics Tarbicus 53 7,802 01-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus