Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Maggiore Mosaic
By the way I somehow never realized it before but some soldier's helmet on Santa Maria Maggiore mosaics seems to have typical "eye" motif of ridge helmets:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

And other thing worthy of note are their multi colored crests.
Quote:By the way I somehow never realized it before but some soldier's helmet on Santa Maria Maggiore mosaics seems to have typical "eye" motif of ridge helmets:

Thanks Pavel for this mosaic! In my opinion this might solve the mystery of the "carolingian / conquistador"- looking late roman helmets in some depictions. They have perhaps been just stylized Intercisa-style helmets (with an over-emphasized and stylized ridges connecting the helmet bowl halves)!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
One of the few 5th century depictions of ridge helmets - right under Aetius too. These could easily have been inspired by the 5th century field army. It also shows Rome's extravagant wealth even at a time when it was "collapsing."

I think what it's depicting is a Bipartite helmet with Burgh Castle Cheekpieces - a mix of the Intercisa and Berkasovo types?

Possibly also could have been out of the artist's confusion, seeing so many soldiers wearing so many different kinds of helmets. But it certainly raises some interesting questions.
Quote:And other thing worthy of note are their multi colored crests.

Yes, they seem to have separate plumes of a different colour at the front of the crest too - two of them red and two blue/white. The two blueish crests might be metal 'fins', but the red ones are clearly horsehair.

Quote:In my opinion this solves the mystery "carolingian / conquistador"- looking late roman helmets in some depictions!

Ha, I suspect it's not that simple! Wink But who knows...
Nathan Ross
If you notice, the crests are depicted in 3D, with either a Bluish-white or Goldish front, compared to their sides. Possibly indicating horsehair crests had the same Chi-Rho motifs found on the front of metal crests?

Also, thoughts on the shoes?

EDIT: More Images of the Santa Maggiore, in which I see an Iron Muscle Cuirass, several Intercisa-IV Helmets, lots of Intercisa-I or -II Helmets with Horsehair and Feather Crests, and more of the shoes Pavel posted.

It may be interesting to note that the soldiers are wearing White tunics with Red, Brown, or Black Decor, while the Officer is wearing a Saffron tunic (like mine.) Some of the soldiers are wearing pale blue tunics as well.

Again, thoughts?

Well, whole set of mosaics was theorized heavily in D'Amato/Sumner Roman military clothing 3.Raffaele speculates those in white tunics are perhaps contemporary Palatini soldiers if I remember it correctly.And of course one of those soldiers brought to life by Mr.Sumner.

Shoes of this kind are known from art up to 7th century at least.
Personally I'm very reserved toward amount of realism of those helmets.They are evidently based on real helmets but very likely in heavily stylized form(although I don't say it must be necessarily truth).
Other good example of what might have influenced later Carolingian artists from the same source:

I agree that they're stylized, but they are supposed to depict Bipartite Ridge Helmets.

I think the shoes depicted might be similar to that of the Kemathen Warrior, whose shoes had a rather low edge and would have been more like a slipper. This could have been depicting lacing across the top of a similar style of shoe. Many Alemanns and Franks were serving in Roman Regiments at the time.

EDIT: Also, I would love to see Graham Sumner's painting of the Santa Maggiore Palatina Soldier.
Hope I can show it :whistle: :

Edit:and just for comparsion once again the original:

Evan, your fantasy is very extended if you are able to see in those Attic helmets, any exemplar of Ridge Helmets! :wink:

Evan, probably I underestimated the extension of the poetic space inside your mind!
It's called classicization - they are depicting ridge helmets stylized as Attic Helmets. You can even see where they added a line on the Cheekplates just like the Berkasovo Helmets.

Unlike earlier times, the Romans of the 5th century would have been used to seeing troops in Italy, as the African, Gallic, and Praesental Field Armies all came to Italy twice during the timeframe of this church - Once in 432, and a second time in 440.

Furthermore, Aetius was granted the last triumph in Rome in the 440's (446 I think).

@Pavel
Ah yes, that image I have. I honestly have serious doubts about any of D'Amato's reconstructions in that time period.

I will draw what I think to be a more accurate reconstruction (albeit it won't be as good artistically... can't really beat Sumner in that regard Tongue)

I fear that the proper definition should be 'wishful thinking' more than 'Classicization' ... something like an oneiric space.
Quote:'wishful thinking' more than 'Classicization'.

I'm not seeing it either, I'm afraid - but I'm sure most of you know my thoughts on these helmets ;-)

Incidentally, we seem to have a whole new topic going on here - might it be possible to split it off into a new thread, from Pavel's post of earlier today? 'Santa Maria Maggiore Mosaics' maybe?
Nathan Ross
Diocle, they are depicting Bipartite Ridge Helmets.

Furthermore it is believed the Richborough Helmet, an Intercisa-Type, had an attic-style crest. That is unknown, and obviously there is artistic stylization, but it is clear what they intend to depict.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Santa Maggiore mosaics - resource with lots of photos Theodosius the Great 6 2,107 10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Agraes
  Santa Maria Maggiore mosaics Tarbicus 53 7,518 01-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus