Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman camps UK - is there a database or list?
Quote:Anyway, our naked legionary carried a load of 44kg.
That's on the high end of load weight estimates but is pretty close to Junkelmann's experimental load - how much water per day did his team get through?
Quote:May I ask what you would see the legionnary using his nine litres for?
Well, they'd need something to wash the shampoo out of their hair and moisten their toothpaste... Confusedmile:

Quote:Actually, what Roth writes is, "Each and every member of the army required a minimum of two liters of water per man per day, in addition to the two liters a day consumed through food and absorbed by breathing air" (p.119). You've missed the significance of 'in addition' which brings Roth's total to at least 4litres/man/day. Figures on inhaled water-vapour... brings Roth's figures to 4.5litres/man/day.
The 'in addition' is a bit obscure - I read it as meaning that the additional two litres are provided by water in food and air, not that extra litres were required! So inhaling air would provide 0.5 litres, as you say, and eating food 1.5 litres, meaning that only minimum 2 litres are needed for actual drinking, cooking etc. But I haven't checked on Roth's sources, and I'm prepared to bow to your (apparently) more considered approach.
Nathan Ross
Quote:
Vindex post=317799 Wrote:May I ask what you would see the legionnary using his nine litres for?
Well, they'd need something to wash the shampoo out of their hair and moisten their toothpaste... Confusedmile:

Of course, silly me! :oops: I thought it was for cooking their MREs... :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Ah well, I did try.

This is my last post on RAT.
Quote:Ah well, I did try.

My apologies, Steve if I have offended you; it was not my intention and my sense of humour sometimes gets the better of me.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:
Steve Kaye post=317814 Wrote:Ah well, I did try.

My apologies, Steve if I have offended you; it was not my intention and my sense of humour sometimes gets the better of me.

Confusedhock: Apologies from me too, Steve - I seriously wasn't questioning your research, which appears very thorough and useful as part of an ongoing project. Hopefully you'll reconsider and come back to us...
Nathan Ross
(07-27-2012, 02:36 PM)Steve Kaye Wrote: Hello,
Does anyone know of a publically available database (or some form of digital file, e.g. shapefile) of all Roman forts and camps within the UK?

I need this information for a GIS project - so location info important.

I've spent a couple of days hunting for such a beast and, obviously, failed. There are a number of sources online which hold individual references to forts etc. but the thought of collating all of those into one database is very discouraging - would take months!

At the moment I'm thinking of taking ROMAN TEMPORARY CAMPS IN BRITAIN by ALAN F. LESLIE 1995 and OCR'ing the PDF to extract the listed sites but maybe you know of someone who has already done this?

Fingers crossed for some RAT insights.

Regards, Steve Kaye
Does anyone know of a publically available database (or some form of digital file, e.g. shapefile) of all Roman forts and camps within the UK?

I need this information for a GIS project - so location info important.

I've spent a couple of days hunting for such a beast and, obviously, failed. There are a number of sources online which hold individual references to forts etc. but the thought of collating all of those into one database is very discouraging - would take months!

At the moment I'm thinking of taking ROMAN TEMPORARY CAMPS IN BRITAIN by ALAN F. LESLIE 1995 and OCR'ing the PDF to extract the listed sites but maybe you know of someone who has already done this?

Fingers crossed for some RAT insights.

Regards, Steve Kaye
Hi Steve,

Hope I'm doing this right!

There is "Roman Camps In England"   Welfare and Swan, or "Roman Camps in Britain" R H Jones.   Or, if you use Google Earth I have a KMZ file that I created which shows every known Roman Camp in England, with notes and whether or nor there is anything to see.   Gratis of course.

Regards   Alan
Alan, thanks for the book list to which we can add:

"Roman Camps in Wales and the Marches", by J.L. Davies and R.H. Jones, Board of Celtic Studies, University of Wales

and

"Roman Camps in Scotland", R.H. Jones. (£200 on Amazon today, probably because the publisher, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, are out of stock and will not reprint).

All, by varying degrees, missing new-found camps.

I also have a set of files of the camps, KMZ included. Can you make yours publicly available somewhere?

Regards, Steve Kaye
Hi Steve,

KMZ (Google Earth) files exist for just about every known Roman military site in the Roman Empire, although the mid East and Africa are works in progress.    Each file contains the following information on each site.    What the site is, Legionary Fortress, Signal Station, Burgus, Siege camp, Praesidum etc as specified by the excavator.    Date of first construction, of known, whether there is anything visible on the surface and if so how much is visible right up to reconstructed forts, towers or mile castles.    Each site contains notes, including size if that, or indeed any information is available on the site beyond location, as well as the Roman name for the site, if known, also which units were stationed there (this bit also needs some work).        

There is also a KMZ file for misc sites, bath houses, roads (although not much as this is certainly a work in progress), Roman museums etc.   These files are free but must not be used for commercial purposes.

Regards

Alan316

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A list of each Roman helmets date? Robcore 2 1,179 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Last Post: xxLegion2019
  Roman military camps TheRoman 8 2,141 02-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: TheRoman
  New \"old\" roman camps Simplex 3 1,497 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Simplex