Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Praetorian at villa albani?
Quote:Greetings, Its Called Artistic License , sure some of it could be based on real items but these images conjure up more questions then they do answers, for example... if this figure represents Mars or any Ancient Mythological Hero or God why put him in an ordinary set of armour? surely something grander, greater, stranger or Ancient would be better, but not so alien thats its not recognisable to the general public...
I was going after posture. Compare to the Mars on the Domitius ara, and others. Maybe the helmet is more important than the type of armour. Also certainly "expensive" segmentata version existed, i.e. ones covered completely in silver sheet.

Quote:Some of it Could Certainly be Real the Helmet is recognisable but this doesnt mean its proof it was used, Proof would be finding an example of such a helmet in an Archaeological military Context, after all many sculptural accesories were metal objects..
I was ironic. That´s why I put it in brackets and added a :wink: .
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Yes, we should never ever base anything on sculptural relief. Ever! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Absolute nonsense. We can base a lot on sculptural evidence especially when it has something to do with offerings, mythology and daily life, like the butcher shop reliefs, the bread bakers et cetera. That we cannot base much on the military reliefs of Italy and surroudings itself has more to do with the fact there were not that many troops based there anymore. The reliefs we find in other places, especially the frontier, grave stela etcetera give us very good information on Roman military equipment.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Anyone knows why this has been "declared" a pretorian?
Is there an inscription or a scorpion somewhere?
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Hi Luca, no, it was just described as a praetorian by the FB poster.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I don't know about you guys
as much as I love RAT it is responsible for bursting some of my precoceived bubbles
ie.. the archeological report with the "copper" disc armour being uncovered in the UK
ie..leather segmentata find from the eastern empire (though in my my mind it looks more like a charioteers harness now that I have seen a photo.
ie... which way a manica runs
ie...I don't think we can take anything for granted
never ever again :oops:
Richard
Quote:Absolute nonsense. We can base a lot on sculptural evidence especially when it has something to do with offerings, mythology and daily life, like the butcher shop reliefs, the bread bakers et cetera. That we cannot base much on the military reliefs of Italy and surroudings itself has more to do with the fact there were not that many troops based there anymore. The reliefs we find in other places, especially the frontier, grave stela etcetera give us very good information on Roman military equipment.

M.VIB.M.

You think eh! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:You think eh! :wink:

Nope...

I know.

Wink

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Wow, you are clever...guess sarcasm is a lost art!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sarcasm answered by sarcasm.... equals... Wink

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
You got it!...but you missed the first one completely! :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
SALVETE
I found this topic for coincidence. about this relief: the timeframe is about last 1. / beginn 2. century. on villa albani. it show a soldier with lorica segmentata and a corinthian helmet. its probably a pretorian because they have this helmet: the most of the pretorians have attic, phrigian or corinthian helmet show on fresks. so we think its pretorian. its not a god because mars have a musculata or is naked and he have always a beard.
we try to figure this "preatorian" with a lorica segmentata found in kalkriese and a apullo corinth (see the pictures). but our armour is not finished yet, it will take some time! the pictures are examples. the segmentata we let produce have silver shape, the corinthian helmet is in bronze, silver shape and gold. let us have some time and i will post more information here when our project is finished!

Thanks a lot and VALETE

C.A.VIB.SCRIB
COH.VPR.
(www.cohvpr.ch)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

COHORS V PRAETORIA
www.cohvpr.ch
Claudio Reist
Hi @ all

We need, as my brother says, time, until we realize all the details. Until then just have a little patience. In the meantime look at our website (www.cohvpr.ch) and from Erik König (www.replik-online.de), with its excellent products.
We look forward to a constructive and substantive exchange of views.

Greetings

Viator
Quote:its probably a pretorian because they have this helmet: the most of the pretorians have attic, phrigian or corinthian helmet show on fresks.

Yes there are many pretorians with all these helmets, but also many other with no helmet or regular "legionary" helmet.
In addition many sculptures show non pretorians with attic helmets, so it is difficult for me to state "attic=pretorian", even if, yes, it "could" be.

This statue is really unique: segmentata + corinthian, wow!
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Quote:This statue is really unique: segmentata + corinthian, wow!
There's also the figure from a fresco painting in the Domus Aurea, which appears to show a bronze segmentata worn with Corinthian helmet.

Graham Sumner reconstructs this figure as a Praetorian in 'Roman Militaray Clothing I'.
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Villa Telaro: Late Roman Villa in Sicily Caballo 23 6,921 09-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Last Post: richard robinson