Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Villa Telaro: Late Roman Villa in Sicily
This was a new one for me (maybe not for others) , so thought I'd share the mosaics. The Villa Telaro in Sicily is dated to late 4th century on coin finds.

Does anyone have any other pictures?

This one showing the back of a shield
[Image: tellaro2.jpg]
Crested helmet
[Image: 24966_342823096061_246763221061_4741606_2124159_n.jpg]

Achilles and a very odd shield back
[Image: houseofachilleskouriongr8.jpg]
Hunt scene
[Image: Villa_Romana_del_Tellaro_%28Noto%29_-_Hu...aic_24.JPG]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Nice find! Not seen those before. I love the 3D detail on the borders of the hunt scene.

The Achilles sheild appears to be an attempt to depict a hoplon, judging by the carrying method.

Chap in the water, bottom right hand corner...looks like he's carrying a couple of coracles?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Found a bigger version and he is pushing the cart wheels through the pond mud..
[Image: Villa_romana_del_Tellaro_004.jpg]

And two very odd crests in pic 2.

And heres a couple more:-

[Image: VillaTellaroWineW.jpg]

[Image: tellaro1.jpg]

[Image: Villa_romana_del_Tellaro_003.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
VERY nice find, it's new to me as well. I'm especially surprised by the tunic length of the male figure (I suppose) reclining at the table. The soldiers are still wearing the usual shorter ones.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The complete Hunt mosaic here http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Catego...unt_mosaic

[Image: Villa_Romana_del_Tellaro_%28Noto%29_-_Hu...aic_09.JPG]

More shield backs- minimal detail shown. And they all look as if they are wearing sashes rather than belts??

[Image: Villa_Romana_del_Tellaro_%28Noto%29_-_Hu...aic_30.JPG]

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
where?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The sashes around their waists are colored red.:grin:

A really good find. I'm amazed at the shortness of the tunics, hardly below their butt!
I passed a chance of going to this villa. A big mistake.;-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
What a fabulous find! Thanks for posting these.

Just added to the wish list to go and see!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hello Moi,

When I was in Sicily, I had a chance to visit the villa and passed it up due to time constraints.

Obviously a BIG mistake!:roll:

Yes, if you've the chance, go see it.Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:Hello Moi,

When I was in Sicily, I had a chance to visit the villa and passed it up due to time constraints.

Obviously a BIG mistake!:roll:

Yes, if you've the chance, go see it.Confusedmile:

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

How could you???:wink:

Just bought a lottery ticket to enhance my chances of seeing it...EVER...

Interesting to see the horse's kit (as ever) with a mix of saddle cloths and one horned "saddle"; and the boy who looks as if he is riding bareback swimming his horse but with a neck strap - very sensible. I call them the "Oh my God" strap and have known them to be called the Jesus strap when out hunting. Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
In the "Achilles" mosaic (I take it that's Penthisilea) Are those supposed to be bells on the back of the shield? If so, this segues with the thread where we were discussing the noisemaking function of balteus danglies.
All you guys in Europe are so lucky... no mattter where you are you have all these neat things to see. All we get here are greedy politcinas whos hands are always in your pocket.

We do have a ... ahem... a spaceport that was built for a fleet of space ships that don't exist, though.

Ralph
LMAO Gaius. I agree, I'm always hearing about Europeans finding WWI helmets, or medieval jewelry, or Roman coins. Not long ago in Britain someone found what, like 5,000 coins and a calvary parade helmet? And the guy was just a amateur metal detector?

Anything more than 300 years old here is Indian...
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Here are the servants preparing the picnic- a lovely scene. Enlargeable version here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...aic_22.JPG

Does anyone know what this thing is hanging up on the tree? It looks (to me ) like some kind of samovar with flames shooting out, but I'm a bit baffled...

[Image: Villa_Romana_del_Tellaro_%28Noto%29_-_Hu...aic_22.JPG]

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
It's not enlarging for me so I can't make out any detail on the samovar thingie (maybe a wine heater?) I love the detail of the servant dressing out an animal carcass with the dogs waiting eagerly to be tossed a treat.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Extraordinary Late Roman mosaic and villa discovered beneath Rutland field (UK) Robert Vermaat 0 246 11-25-2021, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Etruscan Museum Villa Julia Doc 6 3,688 06-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Doc
  Possible Roman tunnel from the mainland to Sicily? ParthianBow 20 3,810 02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Diocle