Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Etruscan Museum Villa Julia
Hello,

I was looking for Roman belt plates and I found something that Erik Koenig made that he claims may have been belt plates that belonged to someone in the Praetorian Guard.  The plates were found in Rome.  I contacted Mr. Koenig and he replied that these belt plates are in the museum on the title of this thread.

I contacted the museum and received an notice on my email that the message was read but never heard back.

Is anyone familiar with these belt plates?  They look rather interesting.  

I did purchase a book that was recommended to me in German that may have had these plates....but no luck.  The book however, is very good so not complaint there.

Thank you

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I know very well that museum since I live in Rome, those plates are not there, or at least not on display.  But I'm pretty sure they haven't at all because the museum is focused just on etruscan and italic stuff, nothing of roman military.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
(06-07-2016, 07:22 AM)marcos Wrote: I know very well that museum since I live in Rome, those plates are not there, or at least not on display.  But I'm pretty sure they haven't at all because the museum is focused just on etruscan and italic stuff, nothing of roman military.
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I contacted the museum but received no reply.  Now that you tell me it's not there, I  understand them not answering. To be honest, I was told they were there by Erik Koenig since he made the reproductions. 

Have you ever seen them before.........anywhere? 

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
mmhh...I have never seen it previously. That could be of course a lacke of mine, nevertheless sounds strange, not many of such 1st century belts+plate are known, and more or less all are published. That isn't, as far as I know.

The buckle looks not far from the one in Vindonissa, but that is without the plate, are you totally sure that it is a copy from an original?
Further, I had never heard of a pretorian belt found in Rome.
Btw, if you just look for (pre)flavian belts, I can tell you where to search for.
Marco

(06-08-2016, 11:02 AM)marcos Wrote: mmhh...I have never seen it previously. That could be of course a lacke of mine, nevertheless sounds strange, not many of such 1st century belts+plate are known, and more or less all are published. That isn't, as far as I know.

The buckle looks not far from the one in Vindonissa, but that is without the plate, are you totally sure that it is a copy from an original?
Further, I had never heard of a pretorian belt found in Rome.
Btw, if you just look for (pre)flavian belts, I can tell you where to search for.

The buckle I agree is not from the belt.  I am only going on the information from his website. It also seemed strange to call it praetorian.  I guess he figured that if it was found in Rome, it had to belong to the Guard. However, I agree that it has not been published. 

BTW.........I sent you a PM.

Search using Google for pre-flavian belts?
Doc, no PM in my folder, may be there is a problem.

Never heard of such finding in Rome, neighter military stuff at all, I'd very surprised if this is true. I am also surprised that such a beautiful buckle has been never published or on display is some muesum.
Marco

(06-08-2016, 03:36 PM)marcos Wrote: Doc, no PM in my folder, may be there is a problem.

Never heard of such finding in Rome, neighter military stuff at all, I'd very surprised if this is true. I am also surprised that such a beautiful buckle has been never published or on display is some muesum.

Hello Marcos,

Maybe use your PM to write me and I can respond....Let's see what happens.

I do not know what to think......I doubt Mr. Koenig was not telling me the truth. Why would he make it up unless he just wants to sell the piece and say anything to justify the cost and provenance.  I am sure he knows that most reenactors do not want invented pieces unless it's based on actual evidence.....direct or logically extrapolated.

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Villa Telaro: Late Roman Villa in Sicily Caballo 23 6,904 09-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Last Post: richard robinson