Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio II beyond the realms of Exeter
Quote:(a point Mark Hassall made many years ago but never published)
I wish I'd been at that discussion.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
mcbishop post=307257 Wrote:(a point Mark Hassall made many years ago but never published)
I've just a quick look through you-know-what and found I didn't mention it there (thought I had). I think the paper was given at the 1989 Roman Frontiers Congress at Canterbury (I still have a handout from it somewhere), but I could be wrong. I'm sure I've mentioned it in print somewhere... just can't remember where! Good paper, though.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
mcbishop post=307257 Wrote:(a point Mark Hassall made many years ago but never published)

Does that imply you don't agree with him or would have agreed if you'd been there?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
As for the Fortress size at Exeter, i have seen many diagrams/plans/reconstructions of the Cohort blocks and they all contradict each other....if anyone knows the correct layout then i would be more than gratefull for the info.
Quote..

Exeter is smaller than the other full legionary bases in Britain. This is probably accounted for by the necessity to fit the fortress into a restricted spur site...

...Until recently the fortress at Exeter was thought incapable of accomadating a full legion. However, the discovery of its full size and the elucidation of the layout of the barracks... have now placed the matter beyond doubt. The fortress was apparently designed to accomodate a garrison comprising 12 units of quingenary strength. Since in the pre-Flavian period the normal complement of a legion was 10 quingenary cohorts, it follows that two of the units provided for in the fortress are likely to have been auxiliaries... [perhaps] cavalry alae.

I say...where did they keep the horses...no evidence of horses has yet been found within the "fortress" area. A seperate enclosure/fortified area?
The legionary base will continue to cause speculation and dissagreement.
I am more interested in the involvement of the Legion in areas to the west/beyond the Legionary base.
Exeter is another subject alltogether.....i think, although each subject/item does form part of the picture of the puzzle that we have very few parts.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote: I say...where did they keep the horses...Kevin

And what about the numerous pack animals?

Without going off topic, thereby lies a thesis LOL!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:if anyone knows the correct layout then i would be more than gratefull for the info.
Well, it's a whole lot of speculation based on not a lot of data, but it probably looked a bit like this.

[attachment=3182]figure38.jpg[/attachment]

Mike Bishop

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:
kevin mills post=307798 Wrote:I say...where did they keep the horses...Kevin

And what about the numerous pack animals?

Without going off topic, thereby lies a thesis LOL!
Somebody's bound to mention barges...

Von Petrikovits thought they kept the mules in the tabernae that lined the main streets. Everybody has a favourite thing to stick in those, according to taste. Personally, I think they were box rooms for the terminally untidy (like me).

Mike Bishop

Quote: [[attachment=3182]figure38.jpg[/attachment]

Mike Bishop

Blimus! (As Sid James would say).

EDIT: Oops...it's supposed to show the drawing of the proposed fortress, and I wasn't going to mention barges at all.
Moi Watson

Barges.....
mcbishop's diagram of the Fortress is as i have it shown in two different books.
The plan of the Fortress as in Paul t Bidwell's book..Roman Exeter, Fortress and town shows the via principalis leading to the north and south gates (of the fortress...not the walled town) but the others show the via quintaria leading to these gates as per the plan provided above?
Now you can understand why i am so confused and mistaken at times....but i still have some damn good ideas Big Grin
Kevin
Quote:I say...where did they keep the horses...no evidence of horses has yet been found within the "fortress" area.

Henderson (Fortress into City) refers to evidence of possible stabling at St Mary Arches Street and Bartholomew Street, including urine-stained drains and a horse pendant and harness buckle.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
"Shot down in flames"....now one sees how dangerous a little info can be.
The subject of this Fortress could go on and on, its not quite the thread subject but if you are all willing to carry it through with maybee new info, then so am i.
Lots of puzzle pieces may well start to make a picture.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:Does that imply you don't agree with him or would have agreed if you'd been there?
(a) No, and (b) -- twenty years ago? -- probably not. :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Kevin

It should be here but let me know if there is a page missing!

Attached Files
.pdf   ExeterPugio.pdf (Size: 146.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
Moi Watson

Hi all
Thanks Moi i got that one....i am gratefull for that and the fact you remembered the item.
I can kick this thread back into the limelight after "digesting" more info from the web/books, especially books, they still seem to bethe best source of info on any subject.
So..In respect of the "Limes" in Germania, both upper and lower, it seemsas if the Fort layout in the Southwest was similar...linear and blocking routes from hioghland to low.
I think there are many more forts to be found...we now have a total of 4 in Cornwall, that up until recently itwas only thought there was 1.
North Tawton still bothers me due to there being a fort/with extension as some period unknown, and the greater "marching/Vexilation camp". Not enough archeology/excavation has taken place to determin when these were established. Also as seen on TV with Dr Alice Roberts....the new site of aroman "town"?...possibly at Lewdown or in the vicinty makes it a days travel from North Tawton. This could be "red herring" in my books due to the date....after the Legion had left Exeter.
Speculation this may well be, but without combining ideas we will never know exactly what Legio II AVG accomplished in thier short stay at Exeter obviously confronted by a "hostile" natives aparent by the number of military instilations constructed within the 20 stay of the Legion.
Pic courtesy of Mr G Sumner.....hope you dont mind me using your pic.
As allways all thoughts and critisism are gratefully appreciated.
Kevin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claudian fort at Exeter kavan 0 485 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: kavan
  St Loyes dig near Exeter. 66kbm 0 772 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: 66kbm