Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Loyes dig near Exeter.
Breaking news, not available on the web and certainly not in print for a few years.
A couple of very interesting finds.....there are many more...the first being an inscribed wooden tablet, no words are decipherable.....but they exist in Devon....WOW. Secondly, a find identical to that found at the Bath house in Exeter/Caerleon....the grumpy old man antefix as I call it. Several were found on this site in better condition from the Bath house
Many broken but several complete.
It seems they were made locally and when the Legion moved, the stores from this depot did so as well....except a few, left behind for us to find 2000 years later.
The report will not be ready for............how long is a piece of string....but we in our group are pushing the chief archaeologist, John Salvatore, to try to get first shout on the publication.
When it happens I will let you all know............don't hold your breath.
For those unfamiliar with the site, I have posted a pic courtesy Google Earth. And the Antefix....."grumpy old man"
[attachment=11113]untitled.png[/attachment]
As far as I am concerned this brings new meanings to the location of II AVG. If these tiles/antefixes were shippied to Caerleon from Exeter, then caerleon need a dock, it needed a fort, it needed troops.
So were II AVG at both Exeter and Caerleon at the same time?
There are reports of the last military buildings being abandoned in Exeter circa 80AD. Now if the Legion went from Exeter to caerleon........who was at Gloucester? and for how long?
Amazing what a little tile 8 inch square can do to history.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claudian fort at Exeter kavan 0 483 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: kavan
  Legio II beyond the realms of Exeter 66kbm 43 8,551 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Last Post: 66kbm