Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Camp on the Septimer
The slingshot projectiles depicted in this article have the same markings as the slingshot projectiles which are in the Museum in Chur, Switzerland... ill look wether i can post some of the photos i took when i was there.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
The X legion was a Ceasarian Legion, but then I don't recall all the others....sorry to harp on this line.?
I take it the campaigns you mention were under Augustus?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
All of the mentioned legions were in existence in Augustan times, some of possible Caesarian date and some from the Civil wars. But they all existed under Augustus. One would have to dig out a copy of The Making of the Roman Army (1998 edition) for Lawrence Keppie's thoughts on the placement and movement of these legions once the the dust settled after defeating Cleopatra (and Marc Antony, of course). Augustus did use make use of vexillations just as later emperors did. Very few legions had solid name-evidence at this early date, except perhaps legio X Gemina (formerly Equestris according to Keppie).
Very interesting that they continue to find more evidence of camps, especially ones that acted as campaign camps over multiple years as this one seems to have. Augustus did decide that the Alpine tribes had to be tamed and controlled.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae