Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmet database
Those who may dip into the helmet database from time to time might have noticed that there have been a few changes of late. This is what has been happening.
  • There are now very many more helmets there - approaching 300 in fact. I've been busy of late, nudged into action by the fact that people have been supplying me with photographs, in particular, the noble Luc de Vos.

The code numbering system has been changed (although not yet completely so) for the helmets. This is because there are now so many up there that it was getting rather difficult to locate the individual helmets in my own database here. Initially, the helmets were added on a random basis, as and when pictures became available. This has now become untenable as I was spending sometimes up to 15 minutes or more trying to locate a particular item. No more! The numbering system will now correspond to mine own, here. This will not affect people who want to locate a helmet within the database, however.

As is always the case, if anyone has any photographs of any helmet, I would be very greateful if they were sent in. This project is now well along. I have personal knowledge of around 500 helmets, so we are around 60% of the way there. I am also finding that there are quite a few helmets out there in private hands, some of which I have been furnished information on.
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Thank you for the update and the hard work. It is all much appreciated.
Just wondering, but is there no link to thedatabase on RAT anymore, or am I missing something?
The link takes me to the forum of threads, but I cannot find tha actual database anymore. Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Byron
Yeah, the top-of-page links need to be updated still. What you need is this incredibly difficult link: http://www.romanarmy.com :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thank you. I figured it wasn't just me :wink:

I was curious, did you ever get the pictures of the Edinburgh cavelry helmet I sent you Jasper?
I cannot find them in the CB. Were they not good enough quality?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron. I was just wondering about the helmet you mention, it was'nt this one was it ??

http://www.northumberland-computers.com ... roman7.jpg
Brian Stobbs
most grateful to Caratacus , doing a great job for us
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
At the start of this topic Caratacus mentions that he would welcome pictures of helmets, I have of course given a link to one that I have reproduced. What I wish to know is would reproductions qualify to be in the helmet data base, the link that I have already given is a repro' of the type B cavalry sports from Trimontium. Indeed I am aware that the original of this is already in the DB however for a helmet that now does not exist would such a copy qualify. I am thinking of the "Gallic D" from Mianz that was destroyed in WWII, for I have reproduced the only true copy of of this helmet, it has already made an appearance on RAT in the past. I do however have various other views of this paticular helmet should it be acceptable, infact I think it may be usefull for others who would wish to know just how it did look in it's day not just from when found but prior to.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:What I wish to know is would reproductions qualify to be in the helmet data base ...
Yes, Brian - in cases like this photos of reproductions would certainly be welcome. I am thinking particularly of those cases where the helmet has been destroyed (the one you mentioned) or where they have been lost for some reason (there is a Russian example that springs to mind that came from Sochi - which was stolen before it could get to Moscow!)

In general, however, I would not favour including a reproduction where the original is still around and when we can get photos of it to put in the d/b. Of course, if we haven't got a photo of the original, then obviously (in a storm) any port will do! It's better than nothing. In the past we have also used computer generated drawings and these are also acceptable as substitutes for the real thing if the latter is unavailable.

As an aside, and concerning the d/b, there was a glitch the other day in that not all the uploads were visible. This has now been corrected and there are some 286 items in the d/b. More to come!

Caratacus/Mike Thomas
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Mike. Thank you for your responce I do know that there is also a picture of the "Gallic D" in the H.R.Robinson book and of course the tinted photograph by Lindenschmit. However these pictures do not show the true situation of this helmet, and it is only when one reads Lindenschmit that it becomes clear the helmet had different cheek pieces on it when found. I made the reproduction to show exactly how the helmet looked before it's Roman battle damage at what period we may never know, and how it looked when found only to be then blown to bits in yet again an even more bloody battle in WWII.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Byron. I was just wondering about the helmet you mention, it was'nt this one was it ??

http://www.northumberland-computers.com ... roman7.jpg

No, the plain iron one, with not fittings left on it.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron. I'm with you now just been looking at my H,R.Robinson, I'ts the Auxiliary Cavalry "A" that you are refering to. The one I show is the Cavalry Sport "B" from Trimontium infact that is the repro' I put into the museum at Melrose, you have to stop off on your way down some time. However be carefull for that old Roman road can get you a load of points on your licience spot you every 5 Roman miles.
Brian Stobbs
If that's the A68, it's not too bad, compared to the A1.

Just need to worry about the roads where they change the speed limit for reasons that no-one but the loacals would be aware of....like the M74, a dual carriage way downgraded to 50 mph..... :roll: :evil:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet database update Caratacus 2 1,511 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Caratacus
  Helmet database update Caratacus 9 3,234 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis