Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet database update
Those who may have had a look at this area of RAT might have noted that the database is now quite large. There are now 652 entries and I am almost at the end of what I have here on my hard-drive, in the way of information.

As always, I would like to appeal for any useable (i.e. not subject to copyright - so scanning out of books is out) photographs. Even if there are already photos there, anything you have would be very welcome because especially if the angle is slightly different, it may show something that is not easily visible on shots we already have.

I also note that several posts hereabouts are using the code numbers for entries on the database when discussing helmets, which is one of the reasons for putting the thing together in the first place - so we are all (as the PR people have it) "singing from the same hymn sheet"! Which brings me to another related matter.

If you have information on a helmet that is not already on the d/b, would you please go through me in order to add it. There are a couple of reasons for asking this.
  • (a) The base is now so large that it is easy, particularly with things like Montefortino helmets, to duplicate entries. This can result in a wholesale rearrangement in order to correct the mistake. It recently took me a whole morning to try correct an entry when this happened.
    (b) Where there is some dispute about which type the helmet actually is, this can also result in severe problems as to code numbers and (again) danger of duplicate entries that are actually in different places. It may actually be necessary for this to be done - there was a case not so long ago where a cleaned helmet turned out to be an IG, rather than an Italic type - the eyebrow ridges at the front were simply not visible on the corroded helmet. However, it was better to leave an entry explaining this than to move it without saying why this was done.
    © The code numbers in use here are exactly the same ones I employ in the data I have here at home. The codes for the illustrations correspond to these (e.g. Cavalry sports, Type E, No.11, first picture, will be CS-E11a, for example). If someone else has already added a different helmet with this code, when I upload the proper illustrations, they will overwrite the earlier ones. This can obviously all be avoided if you pass the data through me initially. Again, this happened only a few days ago. I have no idea who uploaded the original data - but it isn't there now!

I don't think we are finished with this exercise yet. The recent furore with the Type C cavalry sports helmet illustrates that! I believe there is also some work being done on what may be a definitive catalogue of Montefortino helmets from Italy, which may furnish yet more examples! As the Chinese day: "May you lilve in interesting times" (and they mean it as a curse!

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus, co-ordinator, Helmets database)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:The recent furore with the Type C cavalry sports helmet

And there's me thinking it was an Imperial-Cumbrian type A! Strange how broad a category Sports C has turned out to be... or could it be that the whole Robinson helmet typology is creaking... quick, out the window before the angry mob gets me!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:And there's me thinking it was an Imperial-Cumbrian type A! Strange how broad a category Sports C has turned out to be... or could it be that the whole Robinson helmet typology is creaking... quick, out the window before the angry mob gets me!
Mike Bishop

Creaking? The damn thing is collapsing around my ears! Anyway - it's not an Imperial-Cumbrian type A. The little griffin definitely makes it a type B - or possibly a C if it's got blue eyes! :lol:

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hallaton Helmet Update jho 13 3,561 11-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman helmet database Caratacus 12 3,106 01-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Helmet database update Caratacus 9 3,216 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis