Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet database update
If anyone has taken a look at the Helmet dBase recently, they will notice that some new items have been added. Jasper has very kindly taken me through the process of uploading images, so I can put pictures there without having to bother him with it (Ph.D., .... editor of AW mag .... you get the idea!)

There are now some 140 plus items up there for your enjoyment (!) The complete dBase now has some 430 plus helmets in it, so there is still a long way to go. PRETTY PLEASE, if you have any photos of helmets, send them in. It doesn't even matter if there are already photos there, yours may show something that the others do not. Please provide your name, so that we can make acknowledgement of it and attribute the copyright to you.

To wet your appetite, there are now photos of some very rare types there, as well as some drawings taken from a book published in 1914! The rarities include an Agen-Port, a perfect Montefortino and an Auxiliary infantry helmet made from copper sheet.

Some of these helmets are undoubtedly of Celtic origins. However, they have been added because (a) some of them were found in Italy, (b) the Montefortino and Coolus types, used by Roman soldiers, had their origins in the Celtic tribes and it's impossible to tell whether they were used by the one or the other (although we may have our suspicions!)

To paraphrase Earl Kitchener: "Yours database needs your photos"!

Mike Thomas
Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
I will send those pics as soon as I get time. Possibly wit ha few better ones to follow. Honest!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Mike,

If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask! :wink:
Just to clarify / add to Mike's post: you MUST own copyrights to the photos you submit to the any of the databases on Romanarmy.com. You can get us into real trouble if the photo was found somewhere online, scanned or otherwise in any way not yours. The only exception is photos that are definitely (not probably) in the public domain, such as in the book mentioned by Mike above.
Sorry to be a spoilsport, but the well being of the site comes first. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Do you take reconstruction pictures of helmets in the absence of the original helmet picture My friend has a reconstructed Gallic D helmet. The original as you know is gone except for the cheek piece. The reconstruction I think is quite good and although original equipment is favorbale, if you wish I can send a picture of this reconstruction for your viewing.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:. PRETTY PLEASE, if you have any photos of helmets, send them in. Mike Thomas
Caratacus)

How do we send them in? is there an email address or do we just add them as an attachment on this section (quite slow and laborious and maybe they won't be accepted because the file is the wrong shape or size)?
Christopher Webber

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/thracian">http://www.flickr.com/thracian
<a class="postlink" href="http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/thracian_photos/">http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... an_photos/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/thracianTV">www.youtube.com/thracianTV

[Image: Folp126_small.jpg]
Good point. Please mail photos to either drmike or jasper *AT* romanarmy.com
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper,

A few times I sent you photos using my personal account but for some reason I did not hear from you so I assumed that maybe the settings on your computer did not let the files through.

Nontheless, I will try again. You should get the photos today.

If not, let me know and I we will figure something out.

Also if you like the pictures, you may have to crop them to remove the feather crest.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
If there any helmets in german museums from wich you need pictures, just say it. I have enough time to tour through german museums and take pictures, really.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Several members and myself have recently sent Mike a few hundred photos of dozens of helmets, so look for updated and new records in the imagebase in the near future! Many thanks for your work Mike!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hallaton Helmet Update jho 13 3,577 11-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Helmet database update Caratacus 2 1,508 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Caratacus
  Roman helmet database Caratacus 12 3,120 01-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar