Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
early imperial and late imperial army troop equipment
I was just wondering what were the differences between late imperial and early imperial troop equipment? i am not as much interested in the weapons..etc., but more in the differences in armor, helmets, shields...etc. for example how was a legionaire of the 1st century AD dressed differently from the one of the 4th century or even justinian's time?<br>
<br>
thanks <p></p><i></i>
Hard to put it succinctly, as your looking at evolution over four hundred years, but generally speaking:<br>
<br>
1st and 2nd century AD legionaries have short sleeved tunics, sandal type marching boots. The armour is mainly either mail or, increasingly, lamellar (ie made of strips of metal). The sword is a short thrusting weapon. The pilum - a javelin with a long iron shank behind the point - is carried. The shield is rectangular and semi-cylindrical.<br>
<br>
Late Roman Army, tunics are increasingly long sleeved, leggings are more usual, shoes have replaced the caligae. Body armour (where worn) is mainly mail or scale. The shield is oval and flat or dished. The sword is a long, slashing weapon.<br>
<br>
I suggest you have a look at the photos here:<br>
<br>
p200.ezboard.com/fromanar...1100.topic<br>
<br>
to get a good idea of changing appearance.<br>
<p>Homo Homini Lupus Every Man is a Wolf to Another Man</p><i></i>
thanks...the pics were very helpful.<br>
if anyone has any more pics showing the differences between the different styles of dress in the roman army in different periods, please post them here <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman and Early Legions SAJID 4 286 07-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SAJID
  How many detailed orders of battle do we have from the Early Imperial period? Keeper of the Sacred Chickens 0 277 01-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Keeper of the Sacred Chickens
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,427 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus