Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD.
Any hoo, The belt could be worn with either a pompeiensis or a mainz
given the time period I would say. Unless of course you are depicting this soldier exactly!

Quote:Byron, I know that you can go 25 years back from something given the extent to which a legionary served so if the belt was made at the beginning of his service, then it would be around 50 AD. However, I believe that a "pompeii" gladius was found on this man not a Mainz style. So I do not know how "correct" it would be to put a Mainz gladius there. I think that the pompeii gladius appearing on this belt gives some idea as to the dating; later first century. However, if the pompeii gladius was used during the reign of Claudius then it would be reasonable.

And, as it says it is a Reconstruction based on the two seperate finds, there is no reason not to call it an officers belt... 8)

The more this gets discussed, the more this is becoming a must have item......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
Re: Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD. - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum belt etc by Hildebrandt richsc 6 7,187 02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made Pointer 15 2,902 08-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Herculaneum soldier\'s belt munazio planco 20 5,607 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs