Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I made
Hello all…
Here are the Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I recently made.
The top one was made for myself. THe bottom two were made for someone here on RAT.

The Pommels and guards are made from Holly and the grips are bone.

I am also currently working on constructing a few Officer's Swords… Pictures to come.
Hope you like what you see.

--Patrick

[attachment=8703]HerculaneumPompeiiGladiusHiltfrontview.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8704]IMG_2063.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8705]IMG_2072.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice work, Patrick!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Great job Patrick.....well done.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Still can't wait to finish my Officer's Sword and surprises everyone.
If anyone needs hilts made… let me know. I will do commissions.
Completed Hilt… Patterned after the Herculaneum Pompeii Gladius.
The Pommel & Guard are made from Holly and the Grip is Cow Bone.

The wooden parts are finished in Boiled Linseed Oil & Turpentine and all parts have a coat of Renaissance Wax.

[attachment=8807]IMG_2099.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8808]IMG_2100.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You see? Why can't Al-Hamdd put one of these hilts on a Magnus Gladius!
Ouch… Please don't make a comparison here between Al-Hamdd and my work. It is not really fair nor beneficial to either of us.

[b]Evan… As a Moderator, I think your last comment/statement was unfair and I am not sure but, may not have been according to the rules, especially for a Moderator?[/b]

I know you appreciated my work, and I thank you for that… but your comment was really a slandering of Al-hamdd's work and business and using my work to do so. Many of us have had our run-in's and dissatisfactions with a number of manufacturers. I have even made such judgements here in the past. I voiced my displeasures with a manufacturer and it is true, that this is not the place to do it. In doing so, I became a bad example, trying to protect others.

There is the age old saying… "You get what you Pay for." If you want off-the-shelf low priced equipment, then there is a market for that. As long as "Suppliers" keep supplying off-the-shelf pieces to unsuspecting buyers… there will always be a market for that. If you want custom work for your special project, or as historically accurate as possible, then you look for someone who is able to make what you want and make you, "Their Client" a part of the project and you keep in good communication with them.

I allow my clients to know up front and personal, on a regular basis what was going on with their projects. I like it when they come into my shop and not only see their project on my bench, but they see other "Works" I am working on and it inspires them for future projects. Whether it is restoring an antique, a competition carving, or a new creation. In this modern world, Emails, Pictures, and short video's, and FaceTime give me a virtual workshop on the internet, when someone half a world away wants me to create something for them. I also allow them and wait on them for their input and listened to their desires, as well as make suggestions on what can be created for them. You see… Not only do I want them to be happy and have something beautiful, I want them to be able to consider all of the possibilities, even ones that they were not aware of that could be done. Sometimes they want something "Real Plain and simple" (Which I don't always like doing because it doesn't challenge my skills), but they are the customer. Other times, I will go the extra mile and do something beautiful for a customer because it brings me a great deal of pleasure to do so and for them to have a very unique and special, "personal" object that is a one of a kind. Communication "Key." In this case the end result... a very happy customer that has already ordered something else!

Now, I am not in this to challenge any armorer, or manufacturer. I am a Master WoodCarver who just happens to have a fascination with the Roman Empire. I just decided, that there is a lot of stuff out there that I am not happy with and so, I started making the things I knew I could make and that it gave me more pleasure to do so for myself. By word of mouth, this hilt was made for someone who sought me out and I worked it in to my hectic schedule called "LIFE."

I am open to do works for anyone, whether it is a Roman Gladii Hilt or a very ornate Museum piece carving, a Duck, a Wildlife Scene Coffee table, a Mantle or a three dimensional Roman Battle Scene, etc. I create, for the "Love of Creating" and its is nice to be paid for something you Love and to have a client feel like they got something greater then they were able to imagine!

THanks again for liking my work… My hopes is that it inspires others to create their own… and if they can't… then at least they can imagine and dream together with someone like me… and have someone who has a passion to create… to create it for them. Smile Hint Hint Hint.
Case in Point… One of those who commented on my work just a few messages up from this one… Marcellus.

Marcellus (Phil McKay) Inspired me as well as Brian Stobbs, Matthew Amt, Robert WImmers, Rado, Matt Lukes, Marc Marrow, Jeffrey Hildebrandt and yes, even Al-Hamdd, DSC and Deepeeka!

Phil McKay, Brian, Robert and Jeffery took the time to communicate with me. However, their works alone have been an inspiration to me as well! Like Phil McKay's "first attempt" at a Pugio??? How ridiculously BEAUTIFUL was that??? Then his recent Gladius with the Black Walnut Scabbard overlaid with Silver and Brass?

Not to mention Matthew Amt… who will always take the time to encourage, advice and critique your work if you ask him. His greatest advice was… "Why work so hard at doing something wrong… when it takes the same amount of effort to do it right?" <--- it is SO TRUE!

They all, either by good example and encouragement or bad example and inferior craftsmanship, have inspired me to create in a new arena. We can learn from the good and the bad, but how much greater it is when we chose to humble ourselves and learn from others. THey have gone through the trials and errors and it is a lot easier to listen to them and to take their suggestions when they try to help us.

I have always had the heart… "If I can see it or imagine it… then I can achieve it and create it!" I hope that my works and character, inspire others to be able to have confidence in themselves and create the same or even better works then mine. If so… then, it is not only a legacy or investment I am making in them… but those above who have done the same through me; their "Gifts," inspiration, and legacy gets passed down as well.
Thank you Patrick for your kind words in regards to the pieces my friend and I have attempted. ...I think you articulated your thoughts extremely well, and agree with you that it is wonderful and so helpful to recieve help and encouragement from each other. People like Brian Stobbs has been an absolute blessing with his generosity and knowledge he has shared with Jimmy and I, and many others. There are also many other RAT members very willing to share their skills and knowledge....which I for one am extremely grateful.
Well done on your completed hilts mate, they are truly magnificent. Smile
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Sorry 'bout that Patrick. I have a habit of being brutally honest... and extraordinarily insensitive.

My apologies to Suhel and Al-Hamdd.

That being said I am well aware of the business differences between being a master woodcarver and a large-scale manufacturer.
Do be advised this particular hilt is not really suited for any mass produced item, as the archeological record shows only one of this kind, certainly the pommel. Another observation is that Patrick here skillfully used a period wood (holly) to replace the bone guard and pommel, doing an excellent job at re-creating the original look. I have yet to see any Indian manufacturer use period types of wood instead of the localy available tropical hardwood. This alone would be a major step up from the present practice.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Amazing work!, very interested!. Do you do scabbard work as well?
John Watkins
" Medicvs"
I just received a beautiful shipment of White Holly! I have another order to make one of these hilts. If there is anyone out there that wants one of these, It's faster to make more then one at a time and if I get a few people who want them, I can give a little price break. If you have another Hilt in mind and you can supply measurements, drawings or pictures, I can review them and give you a quote.

Let me know if you are interested.

--Patrick
Quote:Hello all…
Here are the Herculaneum Pompeii Hilts I recently made.
The top one was made for myself. THe bottom two were made for someone here on RAT.

Is this from the chap on the beach?
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recontruction of Belt from Herculaneum and Pompeii in 79 AD. Gaius Julius Caesar 134 34,225 07-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Charlie